Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
boosted
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've dipped my car quite a few times. This time I wanted something really different. With the new front end and hood, I wanted something kind of aggressive (I guess?)..

First dip was burnt copper.

Then carbon red

Then a custom darkshift

Now a tactical green and anthracite two tone.. Theres a hint of gold in the green making it appear lighter or darker depending on the angle.

·
F1rehawk
628 Posts
Awesome pictures and beautiful car. Wanted to do a dip on my GT but finally decided to get the imperfections fixed and then get it ceramic coated.

What camera are you using? I'm curious. In the market for one.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Nice work!

·
boosted
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome pictures and beautiful car. Wanted to do a dip on my GT but finally decided to get the imperfections fixed and then get it ceramic coated.

What camera are you using? I'm curious. In the market for one.
Most of them were shot with a sony a6500 and 18-105 f/4 (which I sold to upgrade), the recent ones (two tone) were shot with a sony a7III and either the 85mm f/1.8 or 28-75mm f/2.8
Nice work!
The burnt copper is awesome
It was one of my favorites, but I like to change it up
Agreed that copper is probably my favorite.

Nice work, is your roof wrapped in black as well?
Thanks! Yes, the roof is wrapped in gloss black vinyl
-J
red is ze best IMO .. how much does the dip cost when you do it?
About $500+/- in materials. I usually wait until there's a big sale and stock up

·
Registered
253 Posts
do you sand at all first or what's the prep work like? how much dusting do you do in the garage?
Watch this. It will answer all of your questions

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep, I do it in my garage. I use pro-line dip and spray it with an air compressor and paint gun.
First, great job. I had my car dipped nebula red for a while. I'm actually in the rejects pictures in the back of the 2017 G8 only calendar. I used a refinishing gun called a Titan and a stage 3 compressor. Two questions, where'd you get those hood infill panels and do you know how the light strip was installed on the modified OE headlights?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Dipyourcar.com for those that don’t know

·
boosted
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do you sand at all first or what's the prep work like? how much dusting do you do in the garage?
No sanding required, plastidip is a removable coating. Wash the car and wipe down with a prep solvent, mask all the trim, windows, wheels, etc. and spray. It's pretty easy
First, great job. I had my car dipped nebula red for a while. I'm actually in the rejects pictures in the back of the 2017 G8 only calendar. I used a refinishing gun called a Titan and a stage 3 compressor. Two questions, where'd you get those hood infill panels and do you know how the light strip was installed on the modified OE headlights?

Thanks!

I made the hood infill panels by hand out of fiberglass, took me 2 attempts to get it right. I've never done fiberglass work before.

The headlights are retrofitted spyder LED lights. I opened them up and installed morimoto mini H1 projectors and sequential led turn signals

White running lights

And amber sequential turn signals. (A link to a video on my instagram)
https://scontent-ort2-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/496757a51870b34b84ba3386d68a0c3a/5C1CDD03/t50.2886-16/18833461_635531086640792_4819710113709293568_n.mp4?_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.cdninstagram.com

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
No sanding required, plastidip is a removable coating. Wash the car and wipe down with a prep solvent, mask all the trim, windows, wheels, etc. and spray. It's pretty easy

Thanks!

I made the hood infill panels by hand out of fiberglass, took me 2 attempts to get it right. I've never done fiberglass work before.

The headlights are retrofitted spyder LED lights. I opened them up and installed morimoto mini H1 projectors and sequential led turn signals

White running lights

And amber sequential turn signals. (A link to a video on my instagram)
https://scontent-ort2-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/496757a51870b34b84ba3386d68a0c3a/5C1CDD03/t50.2886-16/18833461_635531086640792_4819710113709293568_n.mp4?_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.cdninstagram.com
did you Dip the Wheels too?

Nice Work. I'm assuming when you change colors, the older dip has to be peeled off. How hard is that to do?

·
boosted
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
did you Dip the Wheels too?

Nice Work. I'm assuming when you change colors, the older dip has to be peeled off. How hard is that to do?

Yes, the wheels were dipped, I peeled it off and went back to black for the latest dip. Peeling it off the whole car is simple, if you put enough coats/gallons on each panel will peel off in one piece. You start at an edge and just peel it like a giant sticker, there's no sticky residue or anything

·
Registered
253 Posts
How is the durability? Like if someone opens their door and hits your car.
The durability is amazing but of course that's only if its applied correctly with enough coats. I think I had about 4 gallons, including the topcoat (clear/matte sheen) that had the pearl color mixed in. It would absolutely protect against most rock chips and gentle door dings. For instance, you would have to spend extra time taking a key and digging it through the rubberized coating before getting down to the paint to scratch it. However, even with all that protection, extra care at gas pumps is needed. I had my car dipped for two weeks before taking it down to Ocean City MD cruise week, stopped to fill up and walked away. Came back to a pump that failed to shut off and it dumped gas all down the quarter panel, melting the dip. I was able to fix the coating back at home by masking off the car and spraying some extra material I had left over. Couldnt even see the drip without sticking your face right up onto it.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
The key to easy removal is proper application.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
GXPaycheck
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing