Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at 56k miles my G8 decided to throw the P0008 code (timing chains)
Now after i got my oil changed, this went away for a full 24 hours, then came back on this morning and then decided to go away again within 3 hours.
Its currently off right now
All of the supposed "symptoms" of it being mis timed are non existant.
The car runs like it normally would and there's no unusual sounds coming from the engine

Any idea whats going on?

Pretty frustrated at the moment if these need replaced so early in my cars life , especially since it was quoted at $1900 :(
If this is the case there goes my tune i was looking forward to ordering later this month....

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I had the same issue. Light came on and off till I did the chains. Sorry to be bearer of bad news but the chains need replacement.
Let me know if I can help you more

Les

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I had the same issue. Light came on and off till I did the chains. Sorry to be bearer of bad news but the chains need replacement.
Let me know if I can help you more

Les
At what kilometers did you get this?

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have less than 92,000 km hopefully it will be a while before I get it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that is incredibly frustrating....
I intentionally bought this with low miles thinking ill be free of any major mechanical issues of awhile... was wrong.
So much for getting my tune lol

The CEL has come on and off twice since my original post (currently off again)

But will be calling some other shops to see if i cant find a better price quote.
I am completely baffled on how this isnt covered under some sort of special warranty since its such a common issue

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Supposedly, the new GM timing chain kits feature stronger, more durable and/or modified chains. P0008 is covered under the powertrain warranty, but not thereafter. Unfortunately, the LY7 has had its fair share of timing chain issues across the entire spectrum of GM vehicles. Agreed, GM should have issued a recall or at least cover the repair work outside of the warranty period. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Supposedly, the new GM timing chain kits feature stronger, more durable and/or modified chains. P0008 is covered under the powertrain warranty, but not thereafter. Unfortunately, the LY7 has had its fair share of timing chain issues across the entire spectrum of GM vehicles. Agreed, GM should have issued a recall or at least cover the repair work outside of the warranty period. Good luck.
Even if they warrantied this I think most peoples warranty would be done. I have not heard this as a major issue on most of these engines for these cars, but I guess time will tell.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Ask the dealer for a "Goodwill Plan" I argued with them because my G8 was out of warranty by 4 days and they didnt want to cover it. Try to argue your way through it.
It worked for me and I paid $560 for the plan,and that was it. They called it the deductable.
The dealers know theres an issue so stick to your guns bro.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the first time since ive owned the car that ive hated it.... well not really the car itself but pontiac lol. I should have just bought the damn GT and i wouldnt be dealing with this.

Oh well, ill fix it, and my baby will be back to new.
Will try about that warranty as soon as my swelling in my mouth goes away and i can talk clearly (just had oral surgery this morning, so can barely speak)

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
The V8s have their issues also. so no worries just a glitch we all suffer from.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The V8s have their issues also. so no worries just a glitch we all suffer from.
Correct like the lifter tick that if you do not catch it in time will cost way more than 1900.00.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Correct like the lifter tick that if you do not catch it in time will cost way more than 1900.00.
Thats exactly what I meant. :judge:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yeah man, don't sweat it. I know it sucks having to dole out cash... but it's a car... they break. If you go into any car thinking that its going to be hassle free, you should probably just hop on public transit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah man, don't sweat it. I know it sucks having to dole out cash... but it's a car... they break. If you go into any car thinking that its going to be hassle free, you should probably just hop on public transit.

Yeah i expected to break stuff , especially since i drive my car pretty hard(typical 23 year old male lol) .
Just didn't expect something this expensive this early on in its life cycle.
Especially something like a timing chain that shouldnt be messed up until at least 100k+

Oh well, really my only options are fix it or sell the car, and i sure as hell am not selling my baby lol

On another note, i love how friendly people on this board are, even though it doesnt seem like a ton remain, those of you that are still here are quite helpful and nice :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone have a list of the FULL part list ill need for this to be fixed and where i can get them the cheapest? or even a link would be best
The shops I've asked estimated the parts at $850-900 and i guarantee I can find them cheaper online

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ya 3.6 is bad for chains. I work at gm and see lots ( mostly acadia) getting chains done. I don't drive mine hard for the reason I don't want to stretch it out

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
We are the die hard G8 club here we float around on the board till spring comes,

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Here's the prices from rockauto
Sorry Im at work so I took pic for you on my phone.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts