Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since it was a nice day I finally installed my catch can, billet strut covers and then decided to hook up ultra gauge for the first time.

Took the girl around the block and ultra gauge gave me low battery warning probably from sitting. Then I got on her pretty good and when I let off gas it seemed to hang up and the engine continued to rev high and not up shift I believe? Anyway engine stayed revving high and I gooses the throttle a bit to see if it would shift and finally it did. The ultra gauge gave me a high rpm warning.

Anyone else experience this? Wonder if it my cortex tune or something. Any help would be appreciated.

Ps the little gauge is pretty cool I have to say. Worth the $60

·
Registered
607 Posts
Little off topic but the trans sitting in the low gear and high RPM's has happened to me before also. Only in S mode tho. Didnt I hear something about the trans was designed to hold that gear if you accelerate hard and let off? Something a bout holding it for cornering?

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
That sounds like PMFL mode. ( Click Me )
There are other threads like that if you search.
Basically what you describe sounds normal.

As far as the Ultra gauge being tripped, the set parameters for that alarm were exceeded.
Those parameters are customizable by the end user.
If you go back and check out what you have them set at and compare it to the engine operation during the alarm, it should coincide.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I clicked (click me) Ahh, sorry didnt know what to search under for his. Thanks. I was just cruising to a straight away, I had the shifter in D(drive) not in the manual shift mode and it had done this. Thanks again for the help. I feel better now. I have to read more on the utra gauge sight for more on the ins and outs of this gauge and to better customize the menu pages to my likings. Thanks again.

That sounds like PMFL mode. ( Click Me )
There are other threads like that if you search.
Basically what you describe sounds normal.

As far as the Ultra gauge being tripped, the set parameters for that alarm were exceeded.
Those parameters are customizable by the end user.
If you go back and check out what you have them set at and compare it to the engine operation during the alarm, it should coincide.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
PAL also works in D....

PAS collects data from the acclerator, brake and yaw sensors to anticipate when the driver desires a "performance" shifting style, such as holding lower gears until redline when floored or performing a downshift from 3rd to 2nd while braking.

This works in conjunction with the Performance Algorithm Liftfoot, which determines how the transmission will behave when you lift the throttle. Normally, the car will shift to overdrive upon throttle lift in an effort to improve fuel economy. If the sensors detect "spirited" driving, it will instead hold the gear you're already in, in an effort to prepare you for the corner exit.

The easiest way to trigger the PAL is to maintain .5 G's for 1.5 seconds or more. Next time you come up on a sharp or sweeping corner, flip it into sport mode and take the corner. The car will go into overdrive when you lift, but if you floor it upon exit it will redline second befpre shifting into third. Then when you release the throttle in third, you'll notice that it stays there and engine brakes. This is the car preparing you for the next corner. If there were another corner, you could now enter in third (instead of Overdrive like the first) and when the car detects the hard braking and lateral G's of the second turn, the PAS will shift you from 3rd to 2nd in mid corner. This way you can blast out of the corner in second, no waiting for the shift like the first corner.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
923 Posts
Back up.....

I'm on here daily for the past few years and never once heard of an "Ultra Gauge"????

What is it?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have to help six year old daughter with home work but in short Its an awesome little scan gauge size of a credit card that scans all types of whats going on in your car and flashes the information on the small screen. ultrascangauge.com I think thats the sights.
Back up.....

I'm on here daily for the past few years and never once heard of an "Ultra Gauge"????

What is it?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Nice video, wish someone would shoot a video that covers all the displays after they set their menus. Got tiredof seeing the guy trying to set the size of his gas tank. LOL

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I bought one of these for my GMC Canyon. I kept getting an alarm for battery voltage and sometimes high rpms. I found that the default parameters were set low. You can turn the alarms on and off and adjust the parameters. I love it I want to get one for the G8 just have to figure where to put it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
NJgoat. Where did you end up setting yours up at? Can u take a pic or vid and post it so we can see? Very interested in this.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Heard a good place is the little cubby next to the outlet. Someone said, you can run the cable through the back of the dash console, it fits perfect. And you could make a mounting system using velcro.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Heard a good place is the little cubby next to the outlet. Someone said, you can run the cable through the back of the dash console, it fits perfect. And you could make a mounting system using velcro.
Yea I heard of that place too. But I have my iPod set up there. Besides it's too low. I have a better idea the GPS trim kit instead of the GPS I could mount that in there. It's cheaper then guages and it shows more.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Good question, can you use this along with the hacked Ataris? I think the answer was yes.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Good question, can you use this along with the hacked Ataris? I think the answer was yes.
Yup it plugs into the OBD. Which is cool so you can unplug it and put in another car. You don't need Ataris it has all that info in it.

Here it is ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

....And I just bought one for the G8.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didnt quite install it anywhere. I just plugged it in and messed with it during my test drive of my other install parts. I was finally getting around to testing since Its been sitting on my work bench for two months because G8 has been covered up. It does fit perfect in the cuddy explained in the thread. I dont see any area to feed the cable through the back of the cuddy. But to look at it from there you do have to look down which really takes eyes off the road. Ill have to do a search and see what others have done on some old posts. Not sure if Im gonna keep it in G8 or put it into my hoopty truck. For the money you cant beat it, that little gauge sure does display alot of information plus reads trouble codes and clears them..nice

NJgoat. Where did you end up setting yours up at? Can u take a pic or vid and post it so we can see? Very interested in this.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PS

The one pain in the A%$ thing about it is no instruction booklet. Only instructions is online. I suppose I could burn up the printer and go that route. It cycles through the differnet pages of information and you can program how long the screen is displayed before it changes to the next page. You can also program what you want on each page and where.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
7 Participants
steveo9043
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing