Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a super short trip to work so I don't think the car is getting enough juice to recharge the battery after starting it each morning. With the Procharger taking more juice to start the car, second fuel pump, gauges, and upgraded amp for the car stereo, I seem to not be charging enough or I have a draw. On the way home, I noticed my headlights would dim with bass when the stereo was turned up. I've already bought a new battery but after parking, I don't seem to have enough juice to start the car back up.

I'm thinking about upgrading the alternator (obviously checking for my draw when I have the time). I noticed another thread mentioned our car is 140amps and the cop version uses 170amp alternator. The part number being: 92247651

What are you big stereo guys doing for this? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'm definitely no expert on this, as I'm just in the process of installing my 1st ever amplifier in a vehicle in my truck, but in my research I see alot of folks doing a "Big 3" upgrade. This upgrades the size of wire between the battery and alternator:

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106041

I've also seen folks adding additional battery and additional alternators.

I'm sure the larger alternator would help. Maybe this and the "Big 3" upgrade at the same time would be best?

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Being stock, I of course have nothing to load the alternator down, and I don't know how much reserve power is available to cover any added mods (an it sounds like you have some big ones). But if even 1 of the 6 diodes in its internal regulator failed, it would wipe out a huge portion of the output capability of that existing unit (an *maybe* still be good enough), to not cause any alternator fault icon to illuminate).

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
According to the battery power gauge, it puts out ~14v. Not that it's super accurate since the oil pressure gauge is off, it wouldn't surprise me if the alternator isn't putting out what it should be. I would think the 40 extra amps would be enough to cover those extra mods and hopefully overcome the draw from starting the car in the morning. I have a 5 minute or less drive to work and the stereo starts with remote start.

If I fully trickle charge the battery, the car will run for a few weeks before the battery loses it's power to start the car. The other problem is, the last two places to work on the car, work on it with the dome light on and no battery charger connected. I always get it back with them jump starting my car to leave so it's hard to be sure.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts