Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is in need of brakes and as much as I would love to do a Bembo upgrade its just way to expensive. What have some of you guys found that has a great improvement?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
What's your budget? You'd be amazed how a fresh set of quality pads and a fluid change will improve the braking.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
What's your budget? You'd be amazed how a fresh set of quality pads and a fluid change will improve the braking.
thats what I was thinking. new pads, rotors, and maybe some SS lines and call it a day. Not a thing wrong with the brakes that come stock on the GT's....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Rotorpros.net
Who I always use for brake jobs, including my GXP

·
I maek mah avitar :3
338 Posts
I have Centric Rotors with Hawk Pads in the front and have the parts to do the rears as well. Just need to order s/s lines and finish it up. Some squeel when cold but great when warmed up.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I'm a tight ass so I really don't want to go over 300
If your rotors are in good shape, 300 will get you HPS pads and a fluid flush with some change left. I'd start there.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I had done my rears last summer and went centric for pads and rotors from rock auto. It was around 140 shipped and my buddy helped with install. I've been happy.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Not a thing wrong with the brakes that come stock on the GT's....
Thats debateable. In stock form, the GT brakes stop fine but have a quite soft pedal feel. I noticed it and Edmunds even stated this when the car first came out. That was one of the weak points of the car imo. I like my brake pedal much firmer and a fixed caliper design like camaro/ctsv/gxp brembos will provide that and it has for me. But even with camaro brembos on all 4 corners, it still doesnt feel as solid as my former 350Z track car that had Stoptechs in the front and stock brakes in the rear. The brake pedal feel in that car was spectacular. At the end od the day though, its a individual preference.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I went with stock like centric rotors and hawk street/road course pads

Work great! Don't get too hot even at 160+ stops. Definately need more for a road course car though I'm sure

Just look at tire rack for your less than brembo options

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
i just put centric powerslots and hawk cermaics all the way around. around $550 shipped from autoanything. stopping power is almost annoying now.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey guys, pretty new on here. From what I am reading I want to make sure I am understanding this right. The Camaro SS brembo brakes and rotors are bolt on to the g8? I am also about to be in the market for some new rotors and pads, I always just figured I would get some drilled and slotted with a good set of pads but if I can upgrade to the brembos from the SS I think I would rather do that. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
best bang for your buck that i could find was stoptech powerslot rotors and hawk pads. I think to my door I ended up at $550 from autoanything with one of their 15% sales. New brakes all around and a world of difference. I'm sure the centric rotors are just as good for normal use but I like slotted. They'll save some more off the top though.

dont forget new shims and consider a flush while you're at it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
In my oppinion, brakes are not an area to skimp on. I have come to the conclusion that if I am willing to spend money to make the car go faster, I should also spend the money to make it stop safely. There is not such thing as overkill on brakes. You can piece together the Brembo upgrade for the front pretty cheap if you look around, and it makes a huge difference in how well these cars stop. The stock brakes don't suck, but they fade if you push them, and they warp fairly easily.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts