Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Friday my wife was driving to work in our 09 GT, it’s a southern car with 88k miles, and she calls me cause it’s over heated and she had to stop. Upon investigating I find that the upper radiator hose has popped off, losing all of the coolant, and that the flare at the end of the neck on the radiator has cracked off inside the hose.

I was able to repair it on the spot and refill it with dexcool later that day, so just two hours ago I get the same call from her. Hose popped off again, after running fine for 4 days. I’m headed to work now so I can’t spend the day messing with it, but I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas on what the cause could be?

Simply a cracked hose, and without the flare the pressure is too great to keep the hose on? Or could it be something I’m not thinking off? Water pump sounded like it was squealing a little after the original incident, I don’t drive it everyday so I don’t know if maybe it started sooner.

Thanks for any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Have read other threads by other owners who have experienced the same problem of the upper rad neck snapping off.
Looks like your in for a new radiator.
As you stated without that flare there the rad hose is just going to keep on popping off under pressure.
These cars are almost 10 years old now, plastic radiators get brittle over time leading to your problem.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s about what I figured. I have an extended warranty that covers my radiator, but at the same time, I feel like just upgrading from stock to an aftermarket set up.

I was looking into Cold Case radiators and their silicone hoses. Compared to Delco parts it’s cheaper to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yeah, the plastic hose retaining feature on the rad nozzle breaking off has been one of the typical G8 things to deal with.

Oh, right by the radiator cap, make sure the hood release cable is pulled back from the AC line and tied/secured from rubbing with the AC line. Its another G8 thing - the hood release cable rubbing/wearing through the AC line.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Learned from experience to replace the radiator cap along with the radiator. Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Have yet to replace the radiator on the G8 and was speaking from instances on other vehicles. Pretty sure other members will chime in with some recommendations. Good luck

·
Registered
225 Posts
Same thing happened to me... the day after I bought mine LOL. was headed to work all the sudden I look my motor @ 260f ....I'm like NOEEESSSSS my all aluminum block baby =[[[[ .... pulled over immediately and had her towed back to the stealership. Luckily, they split the bill with me and replaced it with an all aluminum version. She's stayed cool ever since and luckily didn't warp the block. PLASTIC radiator.... WTF

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I’m gonna try and see what I can do, i doubt the dealer by me will be ok with installing something other than OEM parts. But you never know.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Same thing happened to me... the day after I bought mine LOL. was headed to work all the sudden I look my motor @ 260f ....I'm like NOEEESSSSS my all aluminum block baby =[[[[ .... pulled over immediately and had her towed back to the stealership. Luckily, they split the bill with me and replaced it with an all aluminum version. She's stayed cool ever since and luckily didn't warp the block. PLASTIC radiator.... WTF
I'm sure you didn't do any permanent damage to the engine, they're pretty tough! I don't know how many people remember it, but the brochure for the 1998 Camaro, when the LS1 first came out, actually said in it that the engine was designed to be driven up to 50 miles without a drop of coolant in it. I remember thinking that was crazy! I don't think they tout that fact any more, probably too much of a liability for them... :wink3:

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yeah I’m gonna try and see what I can do, i doubt the dealer by me will be ok with installing something other than OEM parts. But you never know.

If the dealer only goes for an OEM rad and least you know you should get another 9 years out of it if history repeats itself....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Keep in mind that if the radiator hose blows off when you're on the freeway you get hot coolant all over the finish... so an extra 150$ for the best part could save you having to refinish the flimsy paint on these things. I was on my way to work and had to take my shirt off and gently remove the coolant. Needless to say, the motor wasn't the only thing HOT at that moment.... lololjkjk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep in mind that if the radiator hose blows off when you're on the freeway you get hot coolant all over the finish... so an extra 150$ for the best part could save you having to refinish the flimsy paint on these things. I was on my way to work and had to take my shirt off and gently remove the coolant. Needless to say, the motor wasn't the only thing HOT at that moment.... lololjkjk

Oh trust me, a little coolant couldn’t possibly make my paint look an worse than it currently does. My G8 to-do-list is long, but aside from the radiator issue, getting it repainted is on the top of the list.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Exactly what happened to me. The flare keeps the hose on. While I was waiting for the new one to arrive, I shoved the hose back on as far as it would go. Then used two worm drive hose clamps to secure it. That kept the hose on for the 4-7 days it took for the new one to arrive.

Remember to make sure the new radiator has a new bottom connection piece. My RockAuto one did't have it and I had to use my old one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly what happened to me. The flare keeps the hose on. While I was waiting for the new one to arrive, I shoved the hose back on as far as it would go. Then used two worm drive hose clamps to secure it. That kept the hose on for the 4-7 days it took for the new one to arrive.

Remember to make sure the new radiator has a new bottom connection piece. My RockAuto one did't have it and I had to use my old one.

I think I’m gonna try to get a Cold Case put in. Which connection piece are you referring too?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think I’m gonna try to get a Cold Case put in. Which connection piece are you referring too?

probably this... also, if the dealer wants to play hardball... you should show them this thread... and then ask them if you can foot the difference in the cold case vs OEM. If you're going to do all that work to replace the RAD.. might as well get the best possible one for the job. OVerheating a motor is never a good thing. It can end up costing you 10x what the proper radiator costs.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ll definitely argue these points, seeing as it’s an extended warranty through a 3rd party, if they pay for it I doubt GM will mind spending less on parts. Thanks for all the help, I’ll let y’all know how it goes tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts