Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alternator light came on so I started watching the voltage and charge in engineering mode while driving. The voltage will occasionally drop down to the 11-12V range but not having issues with the battery charging. Headlights do dim/brighten constantly though. Is it slowly dying or some other possible issue?

I ordered a new alternator but haven't swapped it yet and am wondering if anyone here has done theirs and how much of a pain in the ass it is.

Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Alternator light came on so I started watching the voltage and charge in engineering mode while driving. The voltage will occasionally drop down to the 11-12V range but not having issues with the battery charging. Headlights do dim/brighten constantly though. Is it slowly dying or some other possible issue?

I ordered a new alternator but haven't swapped it yet and am wondering if anyone here has done theirs and how much of a pain in the ass it is.

Thanks for any help!!
Take the battery out and have it checked before installing the new alternator. Voltage should be 13-14.4v while car is running unless it is 100% charged then it may go down- 12.6-13v. A bad battery can damage the alternator and vice versa...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Did you go with a GM unit, I've read threads on this board where owners have purchased after market alternators and had nothing but problems. All remedied by buying a GM unit.
Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take the battery out and have it checked before installing the new alternator. Voltage should be 13-14.4v while car is running unless it is 100% charged then it may go down- 12.6-13v. A bad battery can damage the alternator and vice versa...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Just had the battery replaced a few months ago as I was still running the stock battery and it was sounding a little weak starting on cold days. Possible bad new battery?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you go with a GM unit, I've read threads on this board where owners have purchased after market alternators and had nothing but problems. All remedied by buying a GM unit.
Good luck.
Got a carquest...I just ordered one immediately when the light started going on. I haven't put it on yet so I can still return it and get a GM unit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I 2nd what BAS G8 stated I would only replace it with a gm unit,that's what I did,and gm units come with a lifetime warranty
Eligible auto parts include (applies to GM original equipment parts only)
Air Conditioning Accumulators
Air Conditioning Compressors
Air Conditioning Condensers
Alternators/Generators
Fuel Pumps
Ignition Coils
Ignition Modules
Ignition Wire Sets
Starter Motors
Shock Absorbers/Struts
Water Pumps
Wheel Bearings