Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have recently had the timing chain replaced from dealer and now the belt is making lots of noise, it is getting progressivly worse, goes away when I accelerate but comes back when the motor slows down. I changed the belt but the noise is still there, what is going on? is the tensioner gone? what ft lbs should it have? Is a pully off? Sometimes when I start the car it it bangs but not very often and I can never replicate it, not sure if it is the belt slapping or the starter banging out late.

Any thoughts??????

·
Registered
63 Posts
yea my gf had same issue she has an g6 hers tensioner where bad she almost had 100k miles how many miles do you have on your car?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Are you sure it's the belt and not like...the timing chain? If you know when it happens, take the belt off the crankshaft pulley when the car is cold and start the car and see of the noise is gone. Don't let it run too long but just long enough to see if it goes away. What kind of sound is it making? Squeal? Chirp? Rattle? Also, check and see that the pulleys are all spinning properly and that the crank pulley bolt is tight. I had one I did come loose and it did all sorts of crazy things.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Change the belt or put a little dish soap or bar and see if it goes away if it does the belt is dried out and slipping on the pulleys thats the sequel you hear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 125k on the car, the belt is brand new. The sound is like the belt is rubbing or slipping a chirp. I thought it was the belt being old (original) but I changed it and it was gone for a month but now is back. I inspected the old belt and it was in good shape so I kept is as a spare. Is it possible the pulleys are not lined up properly? I found some signs of sloppy work by the dealer, coolant lines not conected properly and other items not properly locked down, this does not give me a warm and fuzzy fealing about what they did in the motor, as they say want it done right... Free trumped my better judgment in the timing chain repair but now my G8 sounds like an old car.

kgenesse, Ill check the items you mentioned. is there a tork speck for the cam pully bolts? Does anyone know what the tensioner should be in foot pounds?

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
...know what the tensioner should be in foot pounds?
Drive Belt
Idler Pulley Bolt 58 N·m 43 lb ft
Tensioner Bolt 22 N·m 16 lb ft

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's hard to torque it as the engine will spin before you hit the torque spec. I just put loctite on the bolt and crank it down with an impact gun. Tight is tight as I always say. I would stand on the side of the car and look at the pulleys from a side profile and make sure they all align. If everything is I check, you may simply need a tensioner. Or, buy a Goodyear gator back belt. I had to do that on one G8 to get the noise to stop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Hey bro heres a pic of the goodyear gator back belt

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I tightened the pully's I got a quarter turn, then put a little belt dressing on the belt, normally I hate using that stuff but thought I would give it a go and the noise went away. This morning I started the car and the noise was back and much worse, it stuck around until I got on the highway then it went away and did not come back the rest of the day. So I guess that means the sound is deffinatly coming from the belt, it was too dark yesterday to check the pully alignment so I will have to check that another day.

I get about 50 lbs before the tensioner moves, but that is with an old cheap tork wrench, could not find my good one yesterday!

Any thoughts on the banging sound I hear sometimes when I start the car for the first time? Belt slap?

Is there a identifacation number for the gator back belt?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts