Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Brutus
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I've been having disappearing coolant issues in the ol beast this year since the summer. Fill er up, where she goes nobody knows and then fill er up again. No signs of coolant leaks on the ground, no coolant in the oil.

Had it at the dealer today for a diagnosis. Here is the diagnosis.

"Isolated source of coolant leak to two locations. Leak at thermostat housing, leaking down the back of engine and dripping on cat converter causing burnt cooling smell. Secondary coolant leak at water pump, recommend replacing water pump and thermostat housing to correct coolant leak "

Does this sound familiar to anyone ? Have you had this issue ?

I can definately smell it burning, so I'm not saying they are lying at all. Just wanted some feedback on what you have experienced.

·
OGOC Member
2,607 Posts
We will fix it up bro. We can video it for the other V6 crew.

·
Registered
211 Posts
ABOUT A YEAR AGO I HAD A COOLANT LEAK ISSUE AT ABOUT 148K;AFTER PRESSURE TESTING THE SYSTEM FOUND THAT THE WATER PUMP WAS LEAKING REPLACED THE WATER PUMP WITH A GM PUMP ASSEMBLY ON A V6 NOT TO DIFFICULT TO REPLACE YOURSELF,BUT MAKE SURE THAT THE WATER PUMP KIT YOU PURCHASE COME WITH THE METAL GASKET AND NEW BOLTS WHEN YOU OR YOUR MECHANIC DOES THE REPAIR,I HAVE TO LOOK FOR MY RECEIPT FOR THE PART# THE WATER PUMP I PURCHASED CAME WITH METAL GASKET AND NEW BOLTS;ALSO CHECK THE COOLANT CAP HOUSING WERE IT BOLTS UP ON TOP TO THE MANIFOLD SOME TIMES THOSE O-RINGS LEAK THERE ARE 2 A ROUND ONE ON TOP AND A SQUARE ONE SLIGHTLY BELOW TO THE SIDE;YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO GET A NEW COOLANT CAP;WHEN I TOOK MY OFF IT TOTALLY BROKE APART;

Attachments

·
OGOC Member
2,607 Posts
Thanx for the info bro. were going to do it soon.Then post the video on youtube on his and my channel. I looked at it yesterday. And it didnt look to difficult. Were going to do the thermostat and housing as well. So the upper intake has to come off to.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
If memory is correct, BAS G8 had a similar issue. :unsure:

·
OGOC Member
2,607 Posts
Im just waiting for Jay to get the parts and we will do it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey guy's sorry for the delay I was able to find my receipt;The SEAL PART NUMBER'S ARE COOLANT CAP HOUSING ARE AS FOLLOW
SQUARE TYPE SEAL GM #12566429 PAID $3.14; O-RING SEAL GM #12584040 PAID $3.15; GM WATER PUMP KIT GM #12657499 PAID $150.00,THE WATER PUMP KIT
CAME WITH METAL GASKET AND NEW BOLTS,MAKE SURE YOU USE A METAL GASKET AND NEW BOLT WHEN YOU DO THE WATER PUMP.ALSO CHANGE THE COOLANT CAP AS YOU SEEN IN EARLIER POST IT BROKE APART;

1 - 10 of 10 Posts