Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do realize that most people didn't buy the V6 to race them but I'd love to get a tally together of the members that are planning on taking their car to the track this season. With only 8 weeks of waiting required for us NE Ohio people I am starting to get excited for the nice weather. At the moment I have :

knglibrty
Bad Karma
myself (lg68jcu)

What are you planning on doing or have done since last season to try an touch the uncharted territory of the 14's. It would be awesome to see someone run a 14 of any kind this year. As far as I know only knglibrty and I took our cars to the track last year.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since last season I have:

New tires - Last year I had worn RSA and couldn't keep the wheel spin down to get a great launch.
Intake Tube - Definitely increased low to mid range torque. Peak HP has not been proven might be less.
Mufflers - Installed Dynomax Super Turbos. Minimal gain expected but might with the combo of everything
GForce Performance Chip - Car feels stronger with no flat spot in the upper power band. The track will be the true test to see if this has made any positive impact.
Weight Reduction - I have a plan to cut 160 lbs. off of the stock Curb weight of 3885.

Estimating a Quarter of 15.25 - 15.30

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
I need new tread on mine, ,when its wet out i EASILY break them loose.
Need to clean out the trunk of the junk in it, probley take spare out an anything that rolls around in the trunk.
Will get a TUNE by end of season, either Trificta or mace ,Trificta is reasonable at $230 for 15 H.P.. Mace is over $500 but no H.P.numbers yet waiting for that and see if there is a signifant improvment over the Trificta.Not much else i can do other then apperance wise with making it "GHETTO". Have gear change on the list of things to do down the road.Hoping to hook up with lg68jcu at the track some time this year for some head to head action.........

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
We really need more Base G8s to attend the G8/GTO Owners iNternational Event, and you should really come if you are drag racing your Base G8. I want to see some modified ones in person, and see what they can do!

My hat is off to any G8 racer, regardless of the model!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need new tread on mine, ,when its wet out i EASILY break them loose.
Need to clean out the trunk of the junk in it, probley take spare out an anything that rolls around in the trunk.
Will get a TUNE by end of season, either Trificta or mace ,Trificta is reasonable at $230 for 15 H.P.. Mace is over $500 but no H.P.numbers yet waiting for that and see if there is a signifant improvment over the Trificta.Not much else i can do other then apperance wise with making it "GHETTO". Have gear change on the list of things to do down the road.Hoping to hook up with lg68jcu at the track some time this year for some head to head action.........
You can benefit greatly from a Tune with your intake and exhaust work. I would say get it before to season but it will be pretty sweet to establish a baseline time this season to see how much improvement the Tune provides. That will be great info for the people on the board.

It would be sweet to race you head to head. Regardless of the outcome it would be nice to be competitive and close in times. it would basically come down to reaction times or 60' times if we compare ETs. Are there any tracks between Cleveland and Youngstown? I went to dragway 42 which is in west Salem. We'll have to try and work something out.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
You can benefit greatly from a Tune with your intake and exhaust work. I would say get it before to season but it will be pretty sweet to establish a baseline time this season to see how much improvement the Tune provides. That will be great info for the people on the board.

It would be sweet to race you head to head. Regardless of the outcome it would be nice to be competitive and close in times. it would basically come down to reaction times or 60' times if we compare ETs. Are there any tracks between Cleveland and Youngstown? I went to dragway 42 which is in west Salem. We'll have to try and work something out.
I agree a tune would wonders,milage is awful if i play with the throttle much. At this time about 12 MPG, going to get it in before surgey for 3year , 36 k warrenty, thinking that chip i had on messed with ECM ,so going to have it checked out.Should have tune by late july early august, dragway 42 is west of seville, used to pick up shingles at a warhouse that Owens Coring had. Just under 2 hours for me,sounds good , to me a race is a race any or all takers. We'll hook uip for sure sine we share the outlook that we bought it to drive, NO GARARGE QUEENS HERE....

·
Registered
6 Posts
How extensive is the exhaust work? Are you suggesting the entire intake needs to be replaced? All G8 base models have a raspy sound...... would can I do give the car more of a rumble?

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
How extensive is the exhaust work? Are you suggesting the entire intake needs to be replaced? All G8 base models have a raspy sound...... would can I do give the car more of a rumble?
Ive had a x pipe put in with mid muffler and resointor delete with solo axle backs,sounds good . Does have a burbble when down shifting and slowing down,love it. I went with a K&N CAI,resonable price and easiy to install,there are some pics in my garage on my profile.lg68 made his own ,keeping stock filter box ,but installed a tube from the throttle body to air box......

·
Registered
864 Posts
got any more vids King???

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Heres one from the track last year,turn it up and hear the delay in the transmission from first to second. I beleve it was a 15.60 E.T on this pass. Next time ill get video the pass from outside the car,to show you how good a burnout you can do with a LY7.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd love to run with you guys at 42 when you go. I know I am not a V6 but I would like to meet some fellow G8 owners. I live near Cleveland and have not been to the track yet.

·
There was one?
2,308 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Sounds good Gt, nice pics of your 8. Probley later in summer at 42, i'll be out of action for about a month.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Please elaborate.... :pir_flag:
I mean that we have only had 2 Base G8s there in the first 2 year's of the event, and both were modified. That meant that we had to buy trophies for classes that were never awarded (waste of money). I know that there are folks out there doing great things with Base G8s for Show and Go, and I am extending a warm invitation to them, and hope to see them there!

·
1,481 Posts
I'd about KILL someone to have a V6 w/manual G8 as a daily driver...plenty of performance & fun for everyday and good MPG...perfect!

I'd DEF mod & run it at the track too, no qualms w/that at all...racing is about fun & competition (most fun if you can hook up w/a car w/similar mods) not about 500 hp big block rail jobs ;)

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
I'd about KILL someone to have a V6 w/manual G8 as a daily driver...plenty of performance & fun for everyday and good MPG...perfect!

I'd DEF mod & run it at the track too, no qualms w/that at all...racing is about fun & competition (most fun if you can hook up w/a car w/similar mods) not about 500 hp big block rail jobs ;)
Thanks now you gave me a great idea for my LY7 when i buy my Stryker Blue GT.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
knglibrty - So.. when you kept reporting your quarter miles times last year I coudlnt figure out why they were slower in both trap speed and E.T. than mine. Today I figured out why that is the case. I didnt think it was the case that you couldnt drive and it had me VERY puzzled!!!!

Well today I went online to research area tracks and found out something very interesting about Quaker City!!! Due to the Bedrock that the track sits on the last 300+ feet are actually on an incline!!! They are not able to dig through it to make it level. Can you believe that!!! Well I am glad you are coming to 42 at least once this season. You should be able to run better there. Plus its lower in elevation.

Just thought I'd tell ya if you didnt already know.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Thanks lg, if you checked the video in this thread a couple post earlier, you'll see just how much it goes up hill.That is why they can't have the big fuel cars there. Since my wife is out of town during the week, so i'll probley make it a few times. She already know i'm going every other friday(payday). Another reason i'm slower is she is running rich , if i baby her 16 in the city , Ya like that is NOT me. It is more like 11-12 MPG One guy from work lives over by me and he said she's leaving some black smoke when i kick it. And the tips are really carboned up,going to get her in before my surgery,3 year, 36k is up in june. Tranny flair is one thing that needs fixed...

1 - 20 of 91 Posts