Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am kind of new here.... has the cost of replacing the front bumper cover of a V6 always been so high? I went to 2 auto body shops so far and both of them gave me about the same estimation. Approximately $1700 to get both the front bumper cover and right fender liner replaced (about $800 for the bumper and 80$ for the fender + labor).

I could get both parts shipped to me from GM for about $864.12 (shipping cost included). But so far it seems I'd have to pay about the same amount for labor... I love this car and I do not plan on selling it anytime soon unless if I have to but $1700 :| is almost 20% of what it is worth nowadays.

Does anyone have advice for me? A way to get them replaced for a lower cost? or anything at all..!!

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The Pontiac G8 was produced for two American model years and subsequently the cost of simple replacement parts has skyrocketed. Few years ago, a "minor" accident translated in to an almost $9,000 repair bill. At the time, a factory primed hood was around $1,500 shipped to the body shop. The V6 and GT share the same original front bumper cover so if you are able to locate one at a salvage yard or online it will fit. The exception is a salvaged bumper cover from a V6 or GT originally placed on the GXP also known as the GXP conversion. Would be somewhat hesitant to purchase a brand new bumper cover for a roughly ten year old vehicle. However, a lot of it is contingent upon how much you are are willing/able to invest into the vehicle. Suggest trying places such as eBay or salvage yards and perhaps a slightly damaged one in need of minor repair or a takeoff is available for sale. Located a brand new aftermarket passenger side plastic fender liner for around $30 (carid & carpartswholesale) on eBay. Also, paint associated costs have gone up tremendously and am unsure what's behind the surge in prices. Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. Finding an aftermarket or used front bumper seems almost impossible, especially in the area where I am located (Midwest). I was able to find several used or aftermarket fender liners for about $30 but it does not seem like I am going to be saving a lot of money if I do choose to get a new front bumper cover...so might as well get OEM fender liner. I am hoping I'll be able to make a deal with a shop that'll make it somewhat worth fixing...maybe get them to repair all the paint chip for free ha!
I really doubt it but I wonder if a GM dealer would do the work for less cost! I haven't stopped by one since they usually have a bad reputation and known to be total rip off.

In any case, my priority now is to fix some common mechanical/electrical issues that the car has. 1. alarm/horn keeps going off randomly 2. steering wheel is off center even after being "fixed." 3. stability control is turned off randomly when driving and cannot be turned back on without turning the car off. 4. the battery keeps dying and requires to be knocked on few times to work again (voltage is normal and multiple tests indicated that the battery is fine) so maybe it is the alternator/starter.

I know that this is maybe the wrong place to talk about these kind of issues but I have read a lot about them in these forums and if anyone has a definite fix, please let me know.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Try a local auto wrecker, if it is a yard that utilizes ADP Hollander software for yard management there is a "Locator" provision on the screen that will look for parts availability nationwide and even up here.
Many yards will only deal locally with exchange yards but at least they could give you the name and number of yard that has the part, after that its up to you to make the deal.
Most owners in this neck of the woods have gone for the GXP bumper if there's was damaged but I don't know the availability in Canada now either.
Only problem I have found with after market body parts compared to OEM is fit and mounting holes that often don't line up.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts

·
09 G8 GT Owner
129 Posts
How badly damaged is your original bumper cover? There are aftermarket companies that can refurbish repairable covers for rational cost.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

These are old pictures but you can see some of the damage. Now it looks even worse after my dumbass drove it over the curb and destroyed the right fender liner and damaged the lower right side of the bumper.

I am actually considering replacing it by myself. Is there a step by step guide on how to replace the front bumper cover?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I could get both parts shipped to me from GM for about $864.12 (shipping cost included).
Shipping a bumper is probably $200 alone. No GM dealer within 100 miles that you could pick one up? They are $571 at: https://www.gmpartsxperts.com/oem-parts/gm-bumper-cover-92250666?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9YnVtcGVyLWFuZC1jb21wb25lbnRzLWZyb250Jmw9MSZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPXBvbnRpYWMmbz1nOCZ5PTIwMDgmdD1iYXNlJmU9My02bC12Ni1nYXM= A wholesale body shop should paint it for $250 tops.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shipping a bumper is probably $200 alone. No GM dealer within 100 miles that you could pick one up? They are $571 at: https://www.gmpartsxperts.com/oem-parts/gm-bumper-cover-92250666?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9YnVtcGVyLWFuZC1jb21wb25lbnRzLWZyb250Jmw9MSZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPXBvbnRpYWMmbz1nOCZ5PTIwMDgmdD1iYXNlJmU9My02bC12Ni1nYXM= A wholesale body shop should paint it for $250 tops.

There is at least one GM dealer where I live and several others within 120 miles or less. I am not sure if they actually have bumpers ready for pick up! I am assuming they'll need to order them too. I just have not been able to go to many different auto body shops since I am busy most of the day and the weather has been so crappy but I guess could stop by when I am free to see what they have to say. Also, as you know, dealers usually charge extra but we'll see.

·
Registered
140 Posts
No dealer is going to have that in stock but they can't charge you extra just because they have to order it from GM. Book rate to paint cover is 2.7 hours + 40% for clear is about 4 hours labor or maybe $200. Add $50-75 for paint and materials.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
When you said you needed a new bumper cover I was under the impression your old one was demolished.
Looking at the pics you sent and understanding that it has incurred more damage it looks repairable to my un-trained eye.
There was a thread on this board a few weeks ago started by an owner in the same boat as your in and his was in worse shape than yours.
Try doing a search here for front bumper repairs, sorry, I can't remember what his outcome was.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The first guy at the body shop didn't even consider the possibility of repairing it and said it needed to be replaced. The other person said he might be able to repair/wield the cut in the middle or something like that but then he said it was better to get a new one. Both body shops have very positive reviews and the people there seemed genuine and honest but I guess you never know..maybe they were trying to take advantage of me and rip me off.

I will try to take new pictures in the morning to show you exactly what it looks like currently.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Kind of a cop out, I sorta thought automotive repair shops repaired things....
Buying a new ones the easy way out.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
The first guy at the body shop didn't even consider the possibility of repairing it and said it needed to be replaced. The other person said he might be able to repair/wield the cut in the middle or something like that but then he said it was better to get a new one. Both body shops have very positive reviews and the people there seemed genuine and honest but I guess you never know..maybe they were trying to take advantage of me and rip me off.
Body shops stand to profit more from a bumper cover replacement versus a repair especially if the repair work is outsourced.

These are old pictures but you can see some of the damage. Now it looks even worse after my dumbass drove it over the curb and destroyed the right fender liner and damaged the lower right side of the bumper.
Based on the pictures, the damage doesn't appear to be too bad. Knowing me and coupled with the fact of zero foreseeable intentions to sell the vehicle, would probably do a homemade repair. Since the bumper is made of plastic, a little heat should theoretically allow one to reshape it, to a degree, back in position. :dunno:

I am actually considering replacing it by myself. Is there a step by step guide on how to replace the front bumper cover?
https://www.g8board.com/forums/4-tech-lounge/19042-diy-front-bumper-removal-grill-removal.html. Removal is easier after dismounting the front wheels, but it's entirely doable with them still on. There are videos on YouTube detailing the removal of the front bumper cover/fascia.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

It's slippery and colder than a mf outside but this what it looks like now. For now I guess I'll see if it can be repaired and if not, I might try to replace it by myself. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
There are several GM discount parts sources out there. A new front fascia along with an inner fender liner go for about $691 +or- a touch. Shipping price for the 2 items varies from source to source. Maybe one of these sources is close enough to you, that you could pick them up an eliminate shipping. You could make some calls to the various sources to get an idea of the total cost from each. This of course is just an option, if the cost of repairing the existing parts starts to approach the cost of new parts.

·
Registered
285 Posts
A good body shop could EASILY repair & paint this.

Mine was reaching a similar status to this, especially after some metal rail thing flew off a truck and into my front end on the expressway. The repairs are done so well that you can't tell it's NOT a brand new bumper. I even had that same damage on the bottom center where the bumper was split as well, but now you can't even tell.

I would highly recommend asking a couple of different body shops to take a look & quote it too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A good body shop could EASILY repair & paint this.

Mine was reaching a similar status to this, especially after some metal rail thing flew off a truck and into my front end on the expressway. The repairs are done so well that you can't tell it's NOT a brand new bumper. I even had that same damage on the bottom center where the bumper was split as well, but now you can't even tell.

I would highly recommend asking a couple of different body shops to take a look & quote it too.
How much did it cost you?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Repairing a tear like on the right side pictures is easy. I'd guess $300-$400 including paint if you remove and take apart the bumper and put it together again. Fixing a distortion like in the center pictures is difficult. The plastic has stretched and getting it back in shape is nearly impossible. They might be able to make it better, but then the labor cost will increase.

·
Registered
285 Posts
At least based on what I've seen others post on here, as well as my experience, though... I think $400 is low. Most people here seem to say $500-600... which is still much cheaper than buying & shipping a new one to you, PLUS having it painted.

Anyway, sorry I don't have the full breakdown available. I had a lot of work done all at once. The front bumper repaired & repainted, the full hood (inside & out) sanded/seams sealed and painted, rear bumper repaired & repainted, and I had some rust starting on the inside bottom seams of all 4 doors that were also sand blasted/sealed/repainted. All of that was only about $2700. The front end repair/repaint was only a fraction of that compared to all the sand blasting & seam sealing that was done elsewhere. I don't know if I can even find the breakdown anymore that I received of costs.... it's been a little while since I had it all done.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts