Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
At least based on what I've seen others post on here, as well as my experience, though... I think $400 is low. Most people here seem to say $500-600... which is still much cheaper than buying & shipping a new one to you, PLUS having it painted.

Anyway, sorry I don't have the full breakdown available. I had a lot of work done all at once. The front bumper repaired & repainted, the full hood (inside & out) sanded/seams sealed and painted, rear bumper repaired & repainted, and I had some rust starting on the inside bottom seams of all 4 doors that were also sand blasted/sealed/repainted. All of that was only about $2700. The front end repair/repaint was only a fraction of that compared to all the sand blasting & seam sealing that was done elsewhere. I don't know if I can even find the breakdown anymore that I received of costs.... it's been a little while since I had it all done.
Man! $2700 seems like a damn good deal for the amount of work you got done.

So I stopped by 5 other body shops (including GM dealer) and all of them said that it cannot be repaired. They all gave me about the same estimate (approximately $1700 for both the bumper and fender liner). Unsurprisingly, some of them attempted to take advantage of me by adding the cost of a brand new emblem to the estimate or claiming that the deflector needs to be replaced as well. I did find a cheap bumper online at place called Northlake Auto Recyclers for $385 but I do not know how much it'll cost to have it shipped to me, that is if they ship parts at all. I also found another (used) that's only 2 hrs away from where I live so I could actually pick that one up myself but it costs $650 and it is unclear if that's for just the cover or the entire bumper assembly...so I'll have to contact them and see.

This is the one that costs $385.

For now I think I am just going to get a new fender liner since it seems more important than the bumper, especially since the engine bay is starting to get dirty and rusty without the fender covering that area.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
^^^Assuming the vehicle has collision coverage.

·
Registered
139 Posts
His words were, So I doubt that my insurance would cover any of that. He didn't flat out say, No, I don't carry collision. So who knows.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Collision isn't included with my insurance coverage. It would increase my insurance rate by $100 at max depending on which deductible I choose, plus I got a speeding ticket +2 years ago that increased my rate but I should be able to remove it from my record sometime this year...can't remember exactly when I got it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Unfortunately, in many states, using your insurance for this kinda stuff burns you worse in the long run with increased premiums that far outweigh the savings of using the insurance you're paying for. Backwards, but what can ya do with a broken system? I definitely did not make a claim to have my stuff done, and tend to avoid it.

Good luck with the repairs the rest of the way. Honestly, I don't think $1700 is that terrible bad when you are factoring in labor to remove/replace your bumper/lighting/emblem, buying the "new" bumper, painting the new bumper, and then installing all of it. I'm not saying it's a great deal, but it's really not that bad considering the bumper itself can easily run $600+ of that cost.

I think I was just in a rare & advantageous spot. I used a collision shop here in metro Detroit where there is literally probably 20 other competitors within a mile, and they happened to have JUST completed work on a family member's silver Mustang so I came in at a good spot.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Removed both comprehensive and collision coverage on the G8 awhile ago and thus far it has worked out well. Insurance carrier always found a reason to increase rates with every premium renewal despite having a good driving record and only one accident (no fault) within the past five or so years. They said the biggest reason for premiums increases was due to the amount of uninsured "drivers" in the area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I honestly only have insurance because I wanna drive legally and not get in trouble if I ever get pulled over. I pretty much told my insurance agent that and asked for the lowest rate possible.

Does anyone know if I should get a GM fender liner or an aftermarket one? GM costs about $110-$130 + labor. An aftermarket fender only costs about $20 or more. Is there a significant difference in quality between the two?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought aftermarket for a Honda once, and would only buy one again for a beater. It was thin and flimsy compared to the original and had a glossy plastic instead of the more satin look of the original. I would look for a good used one.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
^^^Agreed after market pieces I have tried are usually a crappy fit and mount/bolting points just don't line up.
New OEM or used OEM.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Don't know the difference between an aftermarket and a General Motors fender liner. However, would purchase an aftermarket liner if a used oem (fairly priced) could not be located. Investing +/- $130 in a small piece of plastic that will soon be covered in dirt, tar, and whatever road grime it can attract is completely out of the question. Considering the fact it's a ten year old vehicle and there are far more vital parts that could potentiality need replacing makes it even more difficult to justify spending a lot on a piece of contoured plastic. Purchase non-electrical aftermarket parts on a regular basis for a variety of vehicles and most customers simply want something that resembles the original part in fit, form, and function. They understand for the amount of money being spent something will be lacking. Furthermore, $130 exceeds the G8's monthly insurance payment... absolutely not.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Agree. I'd take a chance on aftermarket as well. I haven't done it for the G8, but I got a very large aftermarket underbody splash guard for my wife's 2011 Malibu. It definitely fit the guy's description above: it was a little glossy vs the OEM satin, and it even showed up a little deformed. I even had a little bit of a hard time installing it because it was a little deformed (probably from shipping), but after being installed, I could not be happier about going aftermarket. It's held up incredibly well, looks good, and now that it's been in place for awhile and thru a full summer & most of this winter, it's reformed itself perfectly. Saving $100 was a no-brainer for a piece of plastic that, as PONY MAN said, will be covered in mud/etc.

Dude.... I mean, I absolutely love this car too, but it's a 10 year old car and it's not like you're restoring it to a factory finish with only 10k on the clock. Who cares at this point with something like this. Don't waste money just to waste money.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
My opinion goes back to when I worked at a wrecking yard and sold some aftermarket body panels.
Got calls back from customers complaining of fit/finish and nothing lining up.
Called the vendor who informed me after market body panels could not be made as exact copies because Gm had proprietary licence over these parts and trade marks would be violated.
So if they moved bolt/mounting points it was not an exact copy.
Keep in mind this was some 30 years ago and a lot has quite probably changed but this is where I've been hanging my hat.
If this is no longer the case I will change my opinion and offer an apology for misinformation.
I certainly get saving $100 thing but in my eyes given the rarity of our G8's keep it as OEM as possible.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
7 Participants
atikovi
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing