Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first car and I was lucky enough to get a g8 would of love to have the gxp but sadly it’s hard to find these treasures in my area. I really want to put a twin turbo kit but I don’t want to swap to a bigger engine any help???

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Absolutely. Forget about the idea. Next question?

Reactions: Slizzo and KNTRDR

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
410 Posts
There aren't any for the V6, if you want more seat of your pants feel change the diff. to a 3.27 or 3.45.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
.... and one headache after another.

Reactions: KNTRDR

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
It's not the install. Mechanically you can make it happen. It's the tuning that's going to be very, very, very difficult.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
It's not the install. Mechanically you can make it happen. It's the tuning that's going to be very, very, very difficult.
I disagree and believe the biggest challenge are mechanical issues. Some genius(es) at General Motors decided to make the G8 V6 (LY7) a "high output" engine. In doing so, they over-engineered the engine and installed three timing chains with the primary chain driving both secondary chains. The internal components and timing chains are prone to failure and P0008 is a proverbial nemesis. Moreover, the timing chains design have been changed at least twice although am unable to figure out where the difference(s) lie. They even reprogrammed the ecm's parameters for triggering the code to allow for chain stretch. Grant it, supercharger and turbo charger are totally different add-ons. The car will most likely spend more time in the shop than on the road. Just a thought.

Reactions: KNTRDR

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just wonder if anyone knew where or how to put some spinny bois on but oh well I still love the car the way and all I have done to it so far,,, any suggestions on control arms??

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Well the Chevy turbo V6s and the Ford ecotek V6 turbos are pretty stout. Just for this V6, there's hardly any mechanical or turning support.

IMHO, I'd sell and then just by a GT. Probably over 100hp for probably less the cost and 10000x less hassle. And you're starting from a stock hp base and go up from there. Buy a well modded one and the value is even better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Find a 2018 Camaro V-6 with a 6-speed manual and a 3.45 differential. Get all the computers, too. It won't be easy or cheap, but it could be fun.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yea forget about the turbo. I used to have the V6 and did 3 upgrades to it that increased horsepower from 256 stock to 325 tuned after upgrades. Buy these 3 upgrades and then get a tune done. You will be happy.
Do all these and get that tune, and you will be happy. Plus it is cheaper this way instead of changing gear ratio or swapping out the rear. With those high performance cams, you won’t have to change any other internal components, because they’re designed to work directly with stock components.. I was very happy with the results I got. Then of course get a exhaust after that too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh almost forgot , if you buy the manifold insulator, make sure you buy the 25mm one and not the 12mm; the 12mm will not increase HP, the 25mm will, plus it will smooth out you gears big time and torque will increase.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Didn't know Orssom produced an over-the-radiator cold air intake for the G8 V6.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yea they do, it make a huge difference in performance. That was the first upgrade i did when i bought the V6. Next thing i did was the manifold insulator; and that was a big difference too. Next was the direct fit high performance cams; that is when i did the custom tune and the result was output 324 HP frOk the 256 stock HP. Saweet!!!

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Or get the engine from an ATS V. It’s a twin turbo V6. Now the 3 mods listed above make more sense. Then a tune from Overkill Will and you will be happy. 325 whp is more than a GT puts out stock

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
But will the 5 speed Auto transmission hold up to the increased power without a calibration?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts