1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there. I bought this car. Got him down to $4200. Started on the chain replacement last night, just waiting for the kit to come right now. Engine had a bit of sludge buildup in the camshaft bays that i am somewhat concerned about. The timing chain cover and chain area was fairly clean as well as areas in below at the pan. Needs brakes and a bit of bodywork and it'll be in top shape!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Pal, you're a lot braver than me, I wouldn't have touched that car with an 11 foot pole. But I am far from mechanically inclined.
That being said congrats on the new purchase, get her running again.
There was another G8 owner who when doing his chains had the same sludging in the cam shaft bays problem, with a good cleaning apparently the engine now runs problem free. Last owner probably never changed the oil and used cheap oil. I only go with synthetic oils in my V6.
I think the tread was named: Ashamed and Disgusted, theres a picture of the mess in the bays.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just read that thread last night. Mine is nowhere even close to that. That is unbelievable. The drivers side cams are normal for 155,000 km, the passengers side has a bit more. I plan to get out what i can and run very frequent oil changes in the first while to clean it out as well. The owner did his oil at 15,000 km.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there. I bought this car. Got him down to $4200. Started on the chain replacement last night, just waiting for the kit to come right now. Engine had a bit of sludge buildup in the camshaft bays that i am somewhat concerned about. The timing chain cover and chain area was fairly clean as well as areas in below at the pan. Needs brakes and a bit of bodywork and it'll be in top shape!
Let us know how things worked on this car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi folks. I finished the engine work on it tuesday evening and it fired right up. Engine runs great. I put a dealer plate on it and drove it for about 150 km to work out any bugs i could find. It needs a lower steering shaft and also a passenger presence module for the airbag system for it to pass safety and then it will be on the road! Right now i have about $5500 in it.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Great news, money well spent to get that G8 right and back on the road.
Will you have the safety done in time for the Niagara meet on July 10th, be great to see it out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
BAS G8
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing