Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
On the coolant reservoir, am pretty sure the fluid level shouldn't come up to the where the neck meets the bottle. There is not an o-ring nor sealant of any sort on the original unit. Have you verified the coolant level in the reservoir?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah I check fluid levels about every other day. I've only seen it twice. It could've been from me and I didnt realize it. Maybe from when I checked the fluid and it dripped from the dip stick onto it.

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Also, the tube from the thermostat housing outlet should extend well beyond the neck of the coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah all that looks good. Getting that tube back into the housing and bolting the housing down was such a pain. You can't really see what you're doing and you have to line the gasket up at the same time. I put a couple bolts in the housing to keep the gasket in place while installing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You should consider doing a writeup, there's probably someone on here who will want it at some point.

Hope this repair fixes your problem!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah I check fluid levels about every other day. I've only seen it twice. It could've been from me and I didnt realize it. Maybe from when I checked the fluid and it dripped from the dip stick onto it.
Happens to me every time I take the neck out to change the passenger side headlight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
For sure. Probably could do that within the next few days when I get some time to write it all out. The labor cost to change that is probably crazy.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would guess it's probably a 6-hour book job, but that's just a guess on my part. Either way I'd be shocked if you escaped under $1000 in most garages for that fix.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I just looked up my old bill from Applewood Chevrolet for replacing my water pump
Pump was $117
Labor was $162
plus taxes
At that time my son worked at the dealership so I got his discounts
I do believe the mechanic that day changed the pump from under the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Water pump would be loads quicker than the thermostat Haha. I wish that would have been my issue instead.

·
Brutus
33 Posts
Just had my leaking coolant issue fixed. I replaced the water pump, the front coolant housing assembly, and rad cap. I had the dealer replace the thermostat and thermostat housing where I supplied them the parts. They have tested it twice now with the pressure tester and says there are no leaks now. One problem fixed, and another one arises. P0306 misfire codes. Lovely.

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
So do you know which part fixed the coolant leak? At the very least, the P0306 circumstances seem coincidental. Be that as it may, can spray a little carburetor cleaner in the vicinity of the number six cylinder and see it the engine surges. Am thinking it's the same cylinder that was problematic for quite a few V6 owners over the years. Water was notorious for leaking down in the spark plug well causing all sort of issues.

Reactions: jroc99

·
Brutus
33 Posts
So do you know which part fixed the coolant leak? At the very least, the P0306 circumstances seem coincidental. Be that as it may, can spray a little carburetor cleaner in the vicinity of the number six cylinder and see it the engine surges. Am thinking it's the same cylinder that was problematic for quite a few V6 owners over the years. Water was notorious for leaking down in the spark plug well causing all sort of issues.
When they diagnosed the car they told me it was the thermostat housing that was leaking. Water pump was only a secondary guess. I just did it all to put my mind at ease. But it has been pressure tested twice now and passed. No more dripping down onto my exhuast at the back of the engine. I will check the cyl 6 errors soon enuf. Car runs fine at regular throttle until you hammer it. Then it will throw the P0306 error. So we will see.

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Be sure to check the condition of the spark plug as well.

Reactions: jroc99
21 - 37 of 37 Posts