Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas tank actuator stopped working no problem was doing this 6 years ago. Replaced. Driver side windshield cable broke a month ago replaced at least that was cheap.. Oil in spark plugs replaced both with both cover seals left & right. Now I smell antifreeze no leak but i a am sure something is up. Fixed both actuators on driver side & passenger doors. Now the driver side door does not turn off my stereo. My GT has none of these problems.No big deal but wonder why my GT has none of these problems.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Do you drive both vehicles approximately equal mileage every year? Driver's side windshield cable?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Do you drive both vehicles approximately equal mileage every year? Driver's side windshield cable?
No V6 has 88,000 miles GT has 58,000 miles. Yes the cable actually broke had to replace the whole unit.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess because I drive my V6 all year round. My GT summer only. BAS you had a problem with an antifreeze problem, mine inst that bad as i can see no leaks maybe the radiator is going bad as i see pink on top of the rad,same as the GT but it does not smell

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Unfortunately, the door ajar switch is integrated into the door lock actuator and is probably malfunctioning. As a result, it's not turning off the radio upon opening the front driver's door. Prefer a separate door ajar switch versus one built into the door lock actuator as the switch is much less expensive and easier to replace

Reactions: Ramblerman

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, the door ajar switch is integrated into the door lock actuator and is probably malfunctioning. As a result, it's not turning off the radio upon opening the front driver's door. Prefer a separate door ajar switch versus one built into the door lock actuator as the switch is much less expensive and easier to replace
i know that no problem

·
Registered
44 Posts
Keeping your GT out of the Canadian winter temperature extremes, plus the snow / slush / salt will make a big difference over time in the longevity of the car.
Antifreeze.. if you are smelling it inside the car, then it might be a small leak at the heater core. Check for any wetness on the passenger side floor / carpet. If your windows fog up badly on a cool morning, then this also indicates moisture inside the car. You might not find a leak, but periodically check the coolant level to ensure it is full. If it gradually goes down, it is going somewhere.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Great point about CDN winters but I would argue that winters in the US border states are as bad or worse than our winters. Winter in Buffalo and Minneapolis make Toronto winters look like child's play.
My coolant leak ultimately lead us to a cracked O-ring in the coolant filler neck on top of the engine.
Leaking coolant ran down the valley contaminating many parts to look as they were the culprit.
I changed part after part chasing this leak, it was only after removing the plenum and intake manifold that the coolant was found pooling/running down the valley.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keeping your GT out of the Canadian winter temperature extremes, plus the snow / slush / salt will make a big difference over time in the longevity of the car.
Antifreeze.. if you are smelling it inside the car, then it might be a small leak at the heater core. Check for any wetness on the passenger side floor / carpet. If your windows fog up badly on a cool morning, then this also indicates moisture inside the car. You might not find a leak, but periodically check the coolant level to ensure it is full. If it gradually goes down, it is going somewhere.
I do not smell antifreeze inside the car, only when i stop driving & park the car i can smell it outside of the car.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Had the exact same issue although never got around to pinpointing the issue since the car was totaled in accident.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had the exact same issue although never got around to pinpointing the issue since the car was totaled in accident.
Maybe the radiator is on the way out, as there is no obvious signs of leaking. Time will tell the hoses seem to be okay. on top of the rad there seems to be a little pink maybe a slow leak their. My GT has the same but i do not smell anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts