Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The exhaust flanges on the V6 and V8 are the exact same part, meaning the bolts line up on both models for the mufflers. Could I put V8 axlebacks on with no ill effect?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I dunno. Good question. If that's the case could have saved some money and went with GT mufflers instead of the axlebacks.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
The exhaust flanges on the V6 and V8 are the exact same part, meaning the bolts line up on both models for the mufflers. Could I put V8 axlebacks on with no ill effect?
If you're talking about SOLO, the J-pipes would serve no function since they target the drone frequency of the L76 engine.

If you're considering other brands, usually from my experience when you put a v8 exhaust muffler on a v6, it sounds like a tin can. In other words, not very good. There may be exceptions, but on average, look for a v6 axleback.

--zep

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes. Any alxeback that fits a GT will fit the V6 too.

Sound is another thing. However as quiet as the GT mufflers are I'd be curious to see if there was any sound difference between the GT and V6 mufflers. GT mufflers + x-pipe + resonator delete would be an interesting setup.

It might be worth it just to go with quad tips. Personally I hate that round peg in a square hole look of the V6.

-Dennis-

·
Northeast G8 Owners Club
1,979 Posts
I'm also curious as to how this would sound. I'm sure you can find a ton of GT axlebacks for sale or people just wanted to get rid of them. Post it up in the parts wanted section and see what comes back.

Even more interesting would be the GXP axlebacks!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a buddy who will give me his GT axlebacks, so I think I'll go with those until I can afford a full V6 catback setup.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've got a buddy who will give me his GT axlebacks, so I think I'll go with those until I can afford a full V6 catback setup.
If you can, after you do it please post a video of the car at idle, reved up, take off and interior cruise sound. Thanks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you're talking about SOLO, the J-pipes would serve no function since they target the drone frequency of the L76 engine.

If you're considering other brands, usually from my experience when you put a v8 exhaust muffler on a v6, it sounds like a tin can. In other words, not very good. There may be exceptions, but on average, look for a v6 axleback.

--zep
Don't do it ! lol. At least in the case of SOLO. They have the V6 axle backs that look and sound good, why even bother with a v8?

Coming from experience, as I had the v8 put on, they are horrible on a V6, honestly I would stay away from it, as they are developed to sound good, or reasonably good on the v8, the v6 has different harmonics.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I arranged for a free set of factory GT mufflers and tips, I'm picking them up on Sunday. We'll see what they sound like. Worst case scenario is I waste 20 minutes of my time bolting them up.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I tried to arrange a similar deal. If it works out for ya may have to go this route. Either way, I'm curious to see the results.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I picked the G8V8 axlebacks up tonight, and I'm off to my buddy's grease pit to install them. I'll report back soon with sound clips!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the GT factory axlebacks are bolted up and the results are in.

Drum roll please.....

At least from the axle back, the V6 exhaust and the V8 exhaust are identical!

Notice in the picture below that the part number 439 is stamped into both mufflers:

As you might expect, then, the exhaust acoustics DO NOT CHANGE with either muffler on the car. I am very, very pleased with this outcome because I was fearful I would get some kind of drone. I'm happy to report that the V8 exhaust sounds exactly like the V6 exhaust through the entire RPM spectrum. That is to say, it doesn't really sound like anything. :)

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I'm happy to report that the V8 exhaust sounds exactly like the V6 exhaust through the entire RPM spectrum. That is to say, it doesn't really sound like anything. :)
lol

·
DINSTAAR
494 Posts
Well the thread will help future guys weather or not to install dual tips on their car w/o having to worry about change in sound. I think the dual tips fill the square void better than the single tips.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
13 Participants
PONY MAN
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing