Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My G8 needs a bit of work, and I decided it was time for a new vehicle, so I bought a Chevy SS. My question is: what to do with the G8 GT? My mechanic made me an offer ... he only wants the engine and transmission to put in the '51 Pontiac hot rod he's building.

If the car isn't worth much more than that, I'd be tempted to take his offer, just to save the hassle of selling it. He'd probably let me keep the tires, and maybe I could negotiate the black door handles for my SS. :)

Except ... it still drives nice. Surprisingly, all it needs to pass the Ontario safety check is shocks/struts/stabilizer links, which is about $1500 (Canadian).

But it has some issues:

-- rust bottom of driver doors, and around wheel wells
-- mechanic tells me brake line is rusty (but still good)
-- mechanic tells me fair bit of rust underneath the car (I should have had it rustproofed)
-- will need brakes and exhaust soon
-- some trim bits broken inside
-- road paint splatter (dots) on both sides of car
-- cylinder #4 has chirping lifter (for a year now, getting no worse to my ears).

Still, car looks and drives pretty decent, except for lots of noise from the shocks/struts.

The question is: what's the car worth, roughly, in this condition? I know what cars in better condition go for, from Auto Trader -- more than $10,000. Seems like, including paint and rust, we're talking maybe six or seven thousand in repairs. But a do-it-yourself buyer could do it for the price of parts.

Are any parts particularly valuable? Maybe the strategy is to sell those parts, and give the mechanic the rest of the car, if that works for him.

I am NOT soliciting offers. But I am soliciting advice. :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Depends on miles, extent of rust? surface or rusted through? Salt exposure? Paint quality? Take some pictures and post for opinions.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Drop the $1500 into it, hang a For Sale sign on it for $10,000 and take the best offer.
Whats the worst that can happen, you may bank 5-7 grand.

·
Dazed - Confused
497 Posts
How many miles? Also go to Cars.Com or Auto Trader to check what similar vehicles are selling for. Would be surprised if there isn't someone who wants a project car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts