Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am in a tough spot. 2009 GT with 209,000 miles. Camshaft /lifter issues are causing me to either swap my L76 out, and put in a remanufactured LS3. This with labor will cost me around 8500-9000. Just wondering is this worth it, and an estimated value once the motor is in? The car is in good shape considering the miles. I know what KBB says, but would like to base some of my decision based on new value. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
What's the goal here? A reman LS3 isn't the cheapest way to go.

I have a used LS3 with a cam in my car so I've chewed on all these options fairly recently

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Welcome to the forum G8 of the Month Winner!

Reactions: Mitch Stein

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the goal here? A reman LS3 isn't the cheapest way to go.

I have a used LS3 with a cam in my car so I've chewed on all these options fairly recently
I took it to two mechanics and one offered a rebuild and one said the LS3 swap was the way to go. Mentioned that ones from the scrapyard are ridiculously high right now. I wanted to keep this car as long as I could as a daily driver. Don’t know any other options.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

The 6sp SS rebuilt long block. I remember looking at this one months ago

this might be a decent deal if the rebuild is legit. You already have all the stuff from old motor to complete this one.

Other options include finding another L76 or an used L77 out of a caprice. But I'd do a DOD delete on any of those options anyway. That of course increases costs.

The tough part (at least for me) is finding a complete low miler motor that doesn't have DOD. ie... like the LS3 option. But these are pricey and fairly rare. There is a truck 6.0 that actually doesn't have DOD stock. I forget the specific engine. But I almost bought one.

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For what it is worth,
A brand new GM LS3 long block is currently worth only 5 grand.

Yes your old engine is worth some real money, especially if the block isn't hurt.
Thanks. I will look into that. I wonder if he is looking through GM. Or marking it up.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Free shipping too 🙂
Even if you sell the car the fact the engine is NEW GM with a GM warrenty, would add value.
I wouldn't touch a car with some vendor reman.
My first thought was used L76 like the others, but wow, the wreckers want serious coin for them .
One good deal with the LS3 swap is a stock GXP calibration would likely only need the axle ratio change.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Pulled engines especially from salvage yards are sometimes a pitch in the wind. Exception would be locating one through a reptuable entity that heard/inspected it while running and offers a reasonable warranty. Difficult to issue an accurate valuation to the vehicle based on mileage and engine due to the myriad of other variables.

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
285 Posts

The 6sp SS rebuilt long block. I remember looking at this one months ago

this might be a decent deal if the rebuild is legit. You already have all the stuff from old motor to complete this one.

Other options include finding another L76 or an used L77 out of a caprice. But I'd do a DOD delete on any of those options anyway. That of course increases costs.

The tough part (at least for me) is finding a complete low miler motor that doesn't have DOD. ie... like the LS3 option. But these are pricey and fairly rare. There is a truck 6.0 that actually doesn't have DOD stock. I forget the specific engine. But I almost bought one.
The L96 has vvt but no dod/afm. I've been considering putting one in mine.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
If you are getting a newer 6.0 L out of a Caprice (2010+) it doesn’t have the old model Lifters or LVOM.
It will need very little before you drop it in. Timing cover needs to come off to check the timing chain and tensioner. Shim the oil pump spring and replace the pick up O ring. On the back side a fresh rear main seal and the oil gallery barbell. Check intake, rocker and oil pan gaskets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts