Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just ordered a Vararam, HSRK, and radiator cover which will be an upgrade from my homemade intake that I did while I saved for a nice setup and got my exhaust finished. Now onto the question, has anyone done a LS7 MAF with the Vararam yet? I know the stock MAF will flow more then enough for me even with the camshaft upgrade I have planned around summer time but is it a good upgrade to do in preparation for it or is it just a waste of time since the OTR design is a straight shot and not really worth the extra tuning time required.

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
Well, I just ordered a Vararam, HSRK, and radiator cover which will be an upgrade from my homemade intake that I did while I saved for a nice setup and got my exhaust finished. Now onto the question, has anyone done a LS7 MAF with the Vararam yet? I know the stock MAF will flow more then enough for me even with the camshaft upgrade I have planned around summer time but is it a good upgrade to do in preparation for it or is it just a waste of time since the OTR design is a straight shot and not really worth the extra tuning time required.

Thanks guys!
I am! Better throttle response is what I've noticed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got any pictures? How much was your MAF tables off by?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Sub I have the vararam in and I have a ls7 under my bed waiting to be installed when I go for tune

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
Got any pictures? How much was your MAF tables off by?
No pics, the car is in storage still for the winter. Hopefully will get it out this week.

As far as the MAF tables, I have no clue... Rick Crawford adjusted everything after I hooked it up. He would be the person to ask...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you have to buy anything for it to work with the vararam or did all the pieces work together?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd be interested to know about fitment issues as well with stock and aftermarket intakes designed around the stock MAF.

An LS7 MAF sensor and 4" housing is on my shopping list as per Rick C. I've heard lots of people say the throttle response is greatly improved, and I assume the extra cross-sectional area of the 4" housing improves flow potential in the most-restrictive section of the intake tract.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have one for sale if anyone us interested. That exact one never installed still in box

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like mine. Throttle response it great and I believe it gave me some extra power. Figure about 10-15 hp as I installed it along with headers. It dyno'd about 10-15 hp higher than most others. If you get the aluminum one, I suggest getting it coated. That thing will soak up some heat if not. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1365861779.359807.jpg

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
google spectre 9705 and go to amazon, then down at the bottom will be a frequently bought together option and it has the maf sensor.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Do not change the MAF sensor on the car. It is not a restriction until at least 550rwhp and the change will affect your transmission line pressures on an automatic car. There is no power to be gained if your car is properly tuned with the stock sensor. People are running 600+rwhp with the stock MAF sensor on FI applications - if there was really a big gain don't you think they would make the change?

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
Do not change the MAF sensor on the car. It is not a restriction until at least 550rwhp and the change will affect your transmission line pressures on an automatic car. There is no power to be gained if your car is properly tuned with the stock sensor. People are running 600+rwhp with the stock MAF sensor on FI applications - if there was really a big gain don't you think they would make the change?
My car idles better and throttle response has improved when I switched to the LS7 card.

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
The Vararam and a 4" MAF setup is almost perfect. I can log 99-100 kPa on a 1/4 mi run. The stock MAf with a velocity stack is good but not as good as the Vararam. Just got to keep the filter lean.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I found the 9705-Aluminum Tube 4" O.D. Maf Adapter Kit but where do I buy an actual ls3 or ls7 card sensor and what about the screen inside the housing? As I stated on the other thread im having fitment issues with my larger 102 t.b. and my AFE cai because the mouth of the 102 bigger (4.25in) and the cai is (4in) and I barely got the coupler over the mouth of the 102 but the elbow of my AFE slides right through and im stuck and don't know what to do? I even called about the rotofab 102mm cai but the maf housing isn't quite 4in but is bigger than stock but does not come with a sensor so id have to use the stock one or find a sensor and I again have done some reading but not sure where to buy that or adapter harness. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP AND LEAD ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION or JUST TELL ME WHAT TO BUY!! Being new to all this has caused me to get stuck and its making my brain hurt.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Card MAF=Amazon

Straightener - see post 15

I found the 9705-Aluminum Tube 4" O.D. Maf Adapter Kit but where do I buy an actual ls3 or ls7 card sensor and what about the screen inside the housing? As I stated on the other thread im having fitment issues with my larger 102 t.b. and my AFE cai because the mouth of the 102 bigger (4.25in) and the cai is (4in) and I barely got the coupler over the mouth of the 102 but the elbow of my AFE slides right through and im stuck and don't know what to do? I even called about the rotofab 102mm cai but the maf housing isn't quite 4in but is bigger than stock but does not come with a sensor so id have to use the stock one or find a sensor and I again have done some reading but not sure where to buy that or adapter harness. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP AND LEAD ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION or JUST TELL ME WHAT TO BUY!! Being new to all this has caused me to get stuck and its making my brain hurt.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts