Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Breyton CS 20's all around and need to go wider on the rears. Currently running 245/35 and just wanted to confirm that 275/30's are the correct choice.

Also, these rims are only 8.5" wide so how ugly will the bulge be?

·
Registered
970 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Bulge depends on the tire. My 275/30R20 RE760 Sports look stretched on the Camaro 9" wheel.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll probably stick with Hankook V12's.

I'm not lowered and don't have plans to anytime soon.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
I'm on 10" +45 wheels in the rear. 285/30/20's fit great with no rubbing with just me and/or a front passenger, and a little rubbing with 1 or 2 rear passengers. Zero rubbing on the fender, only some within the wheel well itself when hitting deep bumps etc. Hankook V12's are great tires for the price. I had them on my BMW for quite some time. Good luck!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm on 10" +45 wheels in the rear. 285/30/20's fit great with no rubbing with just me and/or a front passenger, and a little rubbing with 1 or 2 rear passengers. Zero rubbing on the fender, only some within the wheel well itself when hitting deep bumps etc. Hankook V12's are great tires for the price. I had them on my BMW for quite some time. Good luck!
285/30's would be great, but how doable is that on a 8.5" wide rim with a +35 offset?

275/30 seems like my limit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
285/30's would be great, but how doable is that on a 8.5" wide rim with a +35 offset?

275/30 seems like my limit.
285 wide tire on an 8.5 inch wide rim is ridiculous and is definitely outside the recommended guidelines for a tire fitment of that size.

As you say, 275 30 20 tire is the limit on that 8.5 rim but you will get quite a big tyre bulge.

What you are doing is putting a 275 mm wide tyre (tread width) on a 216 mm wide wheel (ie. an 11 inch tyre tread on a 8.5 inch rim). Yes it is going to look pretty stupid (or ugly as you described it).

With a 275 tyre on those 8.5 wheels with the 35 offset you are definitely going to have the tires fouling the rear guards with sufficient suspension travel (and probably the rear bumper bracket as well. ).
You are going to have to roll the rear guard lips to fit the tires as they are going to protrude just over a half inch(approx 0.6 inches - 15 mm) further out than the 245 tires now fitted on the 35 offset 8.5 rims - and you will find you don't have that much clearance now between the face of the tire wall and the inside of the rear guard lip.

I would suggest you measure it all up carfully before you decide what you want to do.

If it were my car I would be looking at doing a 255-35 20 tire upgrade on all 4 wheels rather than trying to run 275 30 20 rear tires on a low offset 8.5 inch rim.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have ran that size with nitto 555 and pilot super sport (current) and they look ok, slight bulge but then again the pilot sports are wider than the nittos were so it depends on the tire manufacturer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts