Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car vibrates at exactly 80mph and I had a bent rim so I got new ones and it still does the same, does anyone know what it might me?

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
You had one bent rim and as a result replaced all four? Might have damaged a suspension component in the process and suggest having it thoroughly checked. Vibration could also be caused by inferior tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes so I had the stock rims on and I replaced all four with niche 20in inverted rims and the front tires are 254/35/20 and the rears are 285/35/20, is there any specific place I can take it for them to look at it? I live in San Jose CA

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Does the vibration seem to be relegated mainly to one side of the vehicle? If so, can swap the wheels from side to side and see if the vibration moves. Can also recheck the balance of the wheels since it's possible a wheel weight fell or was thrown off. Were the lugnuts tightened and torqued in the proper sequence? Unfortunately, know absolutely nothing about San Jose, CA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the vibration is only felt like on my seat I don’t feel it on the steering wheels which is weird

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Sounds like the driveshaft bearing if you feel it in your butt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the driveshaft bearing if you feel it in your butt.
When I got the car the center support bearing was bad and it would “ clunk “ when I drive off on a light or stop sign but I fixed that

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
To the best of your knowledge, has the car been involved in any sort of accident? Most probably will have get it on a lift for a thorough inspection to see if anything is obviously amiss.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
The service manual says that the driveshaft "does not" have a master indexing spline. To prevent "any" imballance of the drive shafts 2 sections, it is imperative that each half is marked as needed to properly align the splines during re-assembly.. Are you sure that part of the previous fix was performed ? If not sure, maybe you created an imballance that shows up at that driveshaft rotation RPM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To the best of your knowledge, has the car been involved in any sort of accident? Most probably will have get it on a lift for a thorough inspection to see if anything is obviously amiss.
Honestly I was never told it was and it does have a clean title but what I notice is that my rear bumper and quarter panel are a different color like if it was in a accident and then they never reported but it’s crazy because the shaking didn’t start until I changed the rear tires that the car was sold to me with

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Different color paints are definitely indicative of some sort of previous body damage. What brand of tires are the replacements? Were the wheels hunter road force balanced?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts