Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had a few PM's where I have been asked how I created the cable I used to plug into the radio for the Rear Aux video/audio. He is an explanation of how I created it from some parts that are relatively easy to find.

Wiring diagram from G8V8.

The picture below contains the parts I needed. I stole the wires from an old computer that was ready for the junkyard. The Phono Jacks I bought from Radio Shack (got reamed too $4.29).

The create the audio cable, I took two of the two wire connectors and super glued them together. I replace the wires on the right side. The upper will be black for negative and the lower was removed because it is not needed. (Check the diagram)

On the other end I soldered the Phono jacks. The yellow will be the right and the white will be the left. The ground will be split for both as a negative. The the picture shows the Phono jacks soldered but without the negative connected.

The next photo shows where I connected the negatives together. I then wrapped it with electrical tape.

I next tore apart the right side of the dash. This is fairly straight forward so I'm not going into detail here. I removed the right-side lower panel and the righ-side panel as well as the glovebox and the panel beneath. Then I plugged in the cable for a test.

Everything went to plan with my test so I took it out and wrapped it well with electrical tape, so I do not have to dink with it in the future.

Plugged it in and secured it.

Where the cigarette lighter is, there is an opening at the top. This worked out perfect as I can store the cables there and pull them down when I want to use them. I really do not have a need for the backup camera, so I plan to use mine for video games and movies when I have to wait for one of my kids at their sporting events. The next photo shows the Nintendo Wii connected. I had the video connected earlier which was nice, but with the audio it is fantastic.

Please do this at your own risk, knowing that there is some risk. I did not run into any problems, but I do not know much about this other than the cable I have fabbed up.

All credit for anything displayed should be given to others (Like G8V8, dede, NoLimit (Adrian) and of course Charlie GRRRR8) and I am only reiterating what has already been shown.

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!

·
CCG8 / FLG8
2,089 Posts
G8smitty,
Great write-up and thanks for the nod. I got the real connectors because i work for a multimillion dollar electronics assembler and got Tyco Germany to sample me a couple audio and video connectors. I was looking at other options for connectors that are easily available in the US but what you found is by far the easiest for anybody to get. I will look up and post some part numbers for them but most local computer stores should carry them.

The part number for the video jack I used was Radio Shack 274-0337 and for the audio I used a single stereo jack, that is what my XM receiver wanted. It's part number is 274-274.

The only caution I would offer is with the small 2-pin connectors, make sure you get connected to the right radio pins when you plug the in.

Thanks for your contribution to the knowledge base. The same goes for theother, dede and nolimit and of course, "Mr. Banned-again", Grrrr8.

Ed

·
Registered
51 Posts
The rear aux input is on the side of the head unit. The above how-to shows how to make use of the rear aux input.

·
Registered
212 Posts
subscribing to this thread. You just saved a lot of guys a lot of money :wink2:

*edit* I have the same garage door opener and put it in the same location as you lol

·
Registered
299 Posts
Are you guys able to have video while driving over 5mph? or is this only while in park?

·
Registered
299 Posts
:comp:

I am computer illiterate. Thats a good thread I guess, if I could understand it. Thanks though

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so then is that limiter done through the ECU,or from the radio, is there a relay somewhere, maybe by the shift boot?????

We need to crack this!!!
I’ve thought about this some, and while it would be nice to be able to use the rear aux @ > 5 mph, I’m not sure how it would be used. We obviously do not need to be watching DVD’s or playing video games while we are driving, so it would only really benefit the passenger (which would be good, but not much of a factor for me). It really isn’t very useful for anyone in the back because you would need to lean toward the middle to view. A NAV interface would be nice, but it would require a device that likely has its own screen anyway.
I’m curious, what would you use it for and why?

·
#167 of 888
106 Posts
If I could send my iPhone through there, I could use it to see what's playing, like some of the new radios show via text. I could also use it for navigation, as it has a GPS and Google Maps. As it's also my phone, I could glance at the screen and see who was calling easier than turning to look at it (with no easy way to mount the iPhone it's in a cup holder mount next to me).

Just a few examples.

·
CCG8 / FLG8
2,089 Posts
The one thing I really don't like now that i have the back-up camera hooked up is how slow 5 mph is. If you go over the trip point in reverse, you have to stop to get the video back, at least it seems that way. There might just be a delay but it is really a PITA. 5 mph is too slow.
The camera is good for checking the blind spot behind/below the rear bumper but that is about all.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The one thing I really don't like now that i have the back-up camera hooked up is how slow 5 mph is. If you go over the trip point in reverse, you have to stop to get the video back, at least it seems that way. There might just be a delay but it is really a PITA. 5 mph is too slow.
The camera is good for checking the blind spot behind/below the rear bumper but that is about all.
I agree that 5mph is too slow for the camera. It seemed slower as far a tripping to the blank screen. I like the backup camera idea. It is obviously the best use of the feature. I just don't back up much in tight places. However, it would be good for backing out of he garage at night. I'm always afraid some kid is riding his big wheel in my driveway.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I’ve thought about this some, and while it would be nice to be able to use the rear aux @ > 5 mph, I’m not sure how it would be used. We obviously do not need to be watching DVD’s or playing video games while we are driving, so it would only really benefit the passenger (which would be good, but not much of a factor for me). It really isn’t very useful for anyone in the back because you would need to lean toward the middle to view. A NAV interface would be nice, but it would require a device that likely has its own screen anyway.
I’m curious, what would you use it for and why?
I would use it for this:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10573

·
Party Liquor Hybrid
254 Posts
So I am a noob on building this stuff, is the exterior portion of the RCA connector always negative? I see its that way on the audio, but is the video the same way? Also, got any part numbers or a name those computer pin connectors usually go by? Thanks a much..

·
Rebel without a cause
312 Posts
It is a very nice unit and I wish I could use it, but I would have to move the screen to where the Atari gauges are. I can’t see looking down when going forward, but I can see looking down for a back-up camera when backing up.

Moreover you would be beholden to a remote, as I don’t think the G8 screen is touch compatible, although it seems like it, and I could be wrong there…Argrr! :drink:

We need a dash re-design or aftermarket solution on this to me a happy A$$ camper LOL!

But that’s just me!

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts