Pontiac G8 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
After hearing Dude's radio with the Rear Aux usage I decided to fab up this cable. Instead of RCA connectors I used Radio Shack part number 274-274, a 1/8" stereo in-line audio jack so I can plug a male to male cable in and unplug it and make it disappear.

I am fortunate enough to manage a field service repair group and apparently we trash PC's like there's no tomorrow. So I was able to spend a few bucks on parts. I have not yet installed it, but it should work based on the pin outs that I have seen. Will know tomorrow for sure once there is some sunlight to install.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you have the entire pin-out diagram for the 2 x 6 x 0.100" 12-pin connector on the back?

I've seen how to get left, right, common in other threads, but am interested to see what the other 9 pins do... specifically, I would like to see if a common ground (to radio) source of power exists for charging iPOD.

Thx... k

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok.. Im so tired of trying to find these connectors. Can someone please advise me on where to get the connectors for the aux rear input for the video and audio. Please be specific.. Actual url links would be fabulous. Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello new to the group. Love the usefull info ive gotten already, thanks. Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to purchase the A\V cable MLozano is refering to in this thread? Thanks, look forward to being part of the group.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I know tyco and mouser both sell them. I ordered enough to make 3 cables between the two suppliers, but I got lazy halfway through the first and never finished. If I remember, I'll post part numbers later if someone else doesn't first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
The one and only
129 Posts
Mouser part numbers

Here are the part numbers from Mouser for an Audio cable only.

571-2-1355524-3 Stereo plug
571-1394048-1 Molex Connector
571-963726-1 Pin connector

If you want an RCA dongle search google for this below. It will just need to be soldered/crimped into the connectors and you don't' have to worry about fabricating up an RCA connector.

RFIF2SW Female RCA to Speaker wire

·
Registered
485 Posts
made cable....installed...got sound...no video...I used the right pins...maybe my ipod touch is not putting video out to the cable...anyone tried an ipod touch with this??

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
so adding the cable alone and you should have video right? You just can't drive anywhere with it

·
Registered
936 Posts
so adding the cable alone and you should have video right? You just can't drive anywhere with it
You'll have video and audio. You'll lose video when you start moving; audio will still play.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting, going to try and hook up chromecast to this.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hate to bump a sorta old thread, but since none of the pictures work on page 1, what is this mod exactly and can anyone (myself in this case) partake? I have just the base-ish GT.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I guess I found what I was looking for after about 2 hours of google searching.
Would you please post the info here so 50 other people don't have to spend 2 hours Googling?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Would you please post the info here so 50 other people don't have to spend 2 hours Googling?
Sure. Forgive me if this is common knowledge, but even the first post of this thread was kind of vague as to what exactly was going on. It is as follows: You can have a full color video display with audio to play on your factory radio using the "Rear Aux Input" selection on your radio. (assuming you have the trim package with the LCD headunit). It is only a composite (yellow, red and white RCA; similar to hooking up an old VCR/ DVD player), so anything that has a output like that (Ipod/ Iphone, portable DVD player, etc.) can be plugged in. The stipulation is that it only works in Park or speeds up to about 3mph where the factory radio programming cuts out the video to a black display for safety reasons. There is only one (maybe 2) companies that have a expensive workaround for this by reflashing the radio to override that safety feature to allow video play while driving (cough cough, who would do that:drink:) The mod is referred to as VIM (Video in Motion) and costs somewhere around $300 do be done. With the factory programming, even though the video cuts out during movement, the audio will still continue to play. Also, it is only a copy display of whatever device you have plugged in (also known as mirror mode). Again, forgive me if most of your know this already, but I didn't.

Here is the only link I found that is detailed enough and still had the pics. Every other link I found had things omitted and/ or pics deleted

EDIT: Link won't work when I hotlink it or whatever. Anyway, add an "8" after the grrrrrrr and it should work. I don't know how to Internet well. Sorry.

http://forum.grrrr.net/showthread.php?t=13238

Hopefully posting that doesn't cause trouble. I heard that whatever company works with these doesn't like people building there own or something crazy like that, so threads get deleted or something.

Anyway, I found the company mentioned in the thread on where to get the parts and followed the instructions about "requesting a sample" The only stipulation is that you have to sign up with basic info/ email as if you were a company. I just did "[my name] garage". All the parts were in stock as of last week (December 21-27, 2014), and the next day I got a approval for shipment of the order. So I'll keep you all posted if it's legit. In hindsight, I would have just bought them outright but didn't read that part about no being a cheapass until after I checked the parts website. If to many people request samples, they quit doing it I guess. Hope this helps anyone.

·
Registered
133 Posts
PostsPost Thanks / Like*

Well I tried to order a set off Ebay but 2gtsvette
just scammed me for $50. When I emailed him asking about my item I got no response. The following day I emailed him again and threaten to report him to eBay and PayPal so then I get a reply about how the mail lost the last three he sent out and he doesn't have the parts to make me a new one until a week or two later. I said no send me a refund. I explained if he had emailed me back the first time I would be more understanding. So he does refund the money and process to bash me saying I was the rudest G8 owner ever because I gave him negative feedback. I was never sent a taking number and was ignored my first nice attempt. Just a warning for anyone here wanting to buy one from this guy don't waste your time just make your own....
Thanks for the heads up. That's a shame that that happened.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, for those interested in parts numbers that work, here is what I ordered week before last and received in the mail (I don't have the pics for each item, so I will attempt to describe each as best as possible). Additionally, all parts ordered online from Mouser Electronics - I ordered enough to do three sets of cables and w/shipping the total was less than $25.00. This does not include the cost of the RCA connectors, I plan to buy them this week:
Item 1) 12 pin connector housing, (Mouser PN 571-1394048-1) need 1 each
Item 2) Housing for above item (white outer connector), (Mouser PN 571-2-1355524-3) need 1 each
Item 3) 18 pin connector housing, (Mouser PN 571-1355348-1) need 1 each
Item 4) Housing for above item (black), (Mouser PN571-1-1355350-1) need 1 each
item 5) Pins, (Mouser PN 571-963726-1) need 5 each (3 for audio connector and 2 for video connector - See Pic Above, Post 85).
Figure I don't need to add the Mouser Electronics website - that should be pretty easy . . .
Hope these help some of you out-
Doug

81 - 100 of 108 Posts