Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have completed the engine swap from my old GT into a base model G8. Finally get it to a GM dealer for reprogramming of the VIN and the technician is having a hard time doing it with their equipment. In lamest terms; their software is meant for newer vehicles that the G8 is too far behind for the system to reprogram. I reached out to a tuner that was local to that dealer and he said he would try to tinker with it. My tuner that I used previously said he couldn’t do anything VIN related and to reach out to HPTuners. He said they usually copy the original files. Reflash the operating system with the new VIN and I’d just reconnect and download. Believe me I tried to do some research on this but came up with nothing. HPTuners said their equipment does not do anything with VIN either. Anybody have an information or another lead for something like this in the Joliet, Illinois area?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So contacted a shop in Illinois that has swapped these motors. I did the key relearning process for the vehicle and it turned over. Didn’t stay on too long so I’m just leaving it to the dealer to diagnose and fix the problem. I guess that’s all it takes when the engine is immobilized due to the security programs in place.

·
Registered
130 Posts
EFI Live. This is a 5 minute fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
273 Posts
Your dealer is cooler than most dealers if they will help in an engine and ecm swap application, lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha I usually take my cars here if I need a dealer. They’ll try and let me know what they can do

·
Registered
304 Posts
Did you figure it out?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically, next gen performance a shop in Carol Stream IL has done these swaps. I had to do the relearn key for the car. It basically gets the ECM to recognize it. Turned over. Didn’t Stay on but I fueled it up and it stayed running. Something is up with the trans because I think it locked up and when I scanned it, said a few solenoids shut off. Trying to get the dealer to look at it and see what that fix will be.

But the car is on and running. Still some things to fix and address but right now is just get it driving so I can get it back home and address those things.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Did you have to change out the dash harness or BCM for the swap? Or was it just swapping everything in the engine bay?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope. Left the dash alone. The BCM wasn’t either as I was advised it wasn’t necessary. Theoretically the engine turned over after the key relearn, I didn’t have enough fuel to keep it running so when I put fuel in it stayed on. Essentially it was swapping everything in the engine bay, removing the TCM from the base model out of the passenger side firewall and running the V8 wires through the opening to reconnect where the V6 TCM connected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts