Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vinyl has come loose from my driver's side interior door handle. Is there a way to just take that part off to work on it? I have tried to pry the handle apart enough to stick the vinyl back in but it is very tight. Not to mention that it is not much room to work there (upper part of the handle). Has anyone had this happen and figured out a way to repair?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

:frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Really don't want to jinx myself, but mine was the same way. I used a small plastic trim removal tool and worked on it with a little heat for about 15 minutes. Got it back in and it hasn't even tried to come back out over a year later.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah, you just gotta work it in. You can do this by hand. Essentially, you pull it slightly back to get the edges to touch the seam, and roll it gently until it gets into the seam. Then it is as simple as working it in.

There is a thin layer of foam that you need to make sure doesn't curl up or it'll work against you. Every now and again when it gets hot, I work it in just to keep it from coming out.

I am going to use an adhesive if it comes out again, but you'd need to be very careful with applying with something like a Q-Tip...You'd also need to be sure you can quickly work it in. Takes practice....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick reply. I will try a little heat and some patience. I was afraid to try to pry it apart too much for fear of breaking some.
Appreciate the help from the great people on this forum.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Just make sure you're not pulling any additional out. It is best to do it on a hot day, because sometimes the adhesive that's already there is gummy and you can use it to your advantage.

You just gotta be careful with it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is on my to-do list as well, mine just started coming out a few days ago. I figured I'd need to take the door panel off but I'll try some heat and gentile pressure first.
I have found very small amounts of 3M weatherstrip cement on a curved dental pick is pretty powerful. I fixed my delaminating steering wheel leather that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts