Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
G-8 AND GTO owner!!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had about a 1/4 tank of gas, manually shifting up the mountains past Golden. Got going up a steeper incline and the G-8 started to sputter and lost powed. I pulled over let it sit a few minutes and drove again. Did the same thing about a 1/4 mile later. Let it sit about 45 mins, added 5 gallons of gas, and ran fine. Drove about 10 miles to a gas station, filled up and now it runs fine. It never really died when sitting, just sputtered when I pushed the gas down... like it was running out of gas. I could shut it off and it would start right back up. It now has no problems but I am worried as my wife and 2 kids are with me and we will be leaving on Sat to head home.
Any ideas. I am thinking the fuel pump might have gotten hot???
Does the altitude make a difference. We were at about 5900ft and climbing. We are currently at 9100ft.
Car is completely stock with 42k miles on it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Never had this happen in the G8, but have seen it happen in other vehicles. The way we fixed it in the past was to remove the gas cap and let the pressure out (don't forget to put the cap back on). If you have a new bag of chips and drive from Denver to the mountains, the bag will look like a balloon. Same issue for pressurized gas tanks. For some reason, gaining a bunch of altitude causes problems with pressure in the tank. Do you still have the stock gas cap? You may need a newer one. Good luck and enjoy Colorado!

·
G-8 AND GTO owner!!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it is a replacement cap and I did remove it and put it back on. so maybe that was the trick. And we do have a pillow bag of Lays in the trunk...LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts