Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the intake and exhaust VVT camshaft solenoids the same? I have part number 12636175, but I don't know if it covers both cams. I have code P0011, so I'm hoping a swap will help. If I have to do the whole timing belt I'm going to replace these anyways, so might as well start with them.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
There are two solenoids located on both the intake and exhaust sides of the engine. All four variable valve timing solenoids/actuators are the same. What weight of oil are you using and how frequently is it changed? Also, it vital to always keep the oil level at the full mark on the dipstick. Other than code, does the car exhibit any signs of hesitation, sluggishness, or difficulty starting?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have part number 12636175, but I don't know if it covers both cams. I have code P0011, so I'm hoping a swap will help.
Yes the same. Code is probably from worn and stretched chains. How many miles? Bench test them first because they are likely to be fine and swapping won't do a thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. To answer the questions: I use 5w-30, and change between 5k and 10k. The car has never used oil in the past, however it was low when I changed it this time (I changed after reading that the P0011 code could be from low or dirty oil). I have 120k on the car.

Do I need any cam timing locking tools to change the timing chains? I'm very comfortable doing engine work, but I'd like to know ahead of time if I need any special tools.

I did pull each one out and put power to them. Two seemed weaker than the others, but they all operated. Here's a new problem though: After I put them back in and started the car up, it misfired like crazy. Pulled the codes, and it was misfires on cylinders 1,3, and 5. I never touched anything with the ignition. Started the car up the next day, and it was fine.

Also, I have oil in the air intake in front of the throttle body. It has mixed with water, probably condensation, but it does smell sweet. Not sure if this is normal, or related to any of my problems or not, but it was a little concerning.

I have had random electrical problems with this car before. One time it gave me the big red X after I filled up at a gas station, and the entire drive home, it locked the torque converter, which slammed gears and made driving tough. The next time I started it it was fine. So I'm not ruling out randomness with the left bank misfiring, but it was an odd coincidence for it to happen immediately after taking the solenoids out.

I love this car, but it has been one problem after another recently.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Random electrical glitches can be caused by ground issues. Clean battery terminals and the other ends where they attach. Same for any ground cables.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If it hasn't been mentioned a lot of the sloppiness in the chains could be caused by worn chain guides rather than stretched chains.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts