Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be doing a slight brake upgrade and have been researching rotors. Probably putting more thought into it then needed, but I tend to research the hell out of something before I buy. Basically adding Camaro/CTSV brembos to the rear and adding slotted (mostly as a personal preference) rotors all around. So far I am thinking either DBA 4000 slotted or Power Slot/StopTech slotted(maybe cryo). This is just a pleasure vehicle. No track/racing. DBA really worth the $ difference? I remember one member had rust issues with these too. Just want a good quality rotor without braking the bank. :)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If you're not tracking it, don't bother with the DBAs unless money isn't an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Just finished this research project as well (must have the same personality) and ended up getting the Stoptechs from Auto Brake Center. Have been working with Sean on their sales staff. Great prices and excellent support. Give them a call and if you don't see a Centric/Stoptech product on their site call them, they can get it. I ended up going for the looks over brawn and did the slotted and drilled 127.62113/4 (rear/front). If you want the ultimate in stopping power go with strictly the slotted. Also note, in the drilled and the drilled/slotted they are no longer making rights and lefts. They are only doing that on the slotted only. I don't think you will see the rusting the DBA4000 T3's have been seeing due to Stoptech e-coating being a more robust paint coating.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Any and all input is appreciated. Only reason I really considered DBA's at all is that one of our vendors has a really good price on them. Not much more than I would spend on a quality rotor to begin with. For the most part the DBA's get good reviews, except for a few rust issues I saw. My car is pretty much a sunny day car, so rusting would probably be a non issue anyway. I'll keep my options open.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
@ 50,000 miles I replaced my stock setup w/ DBA 4000 slotted rotors front, and powerslot rotors rear, hawk ceramic pads all around, and I added russel stainless lines.

Now I have 107,xxx and I have never had my rotors resurfaced, but I will be taking a road trip down to OBX - NC (probably will be 1500 miles all in) and I'm replacing the front rotors again. Through nearly 60,000 miles (and I'm sure I could get that and then a little more out of them still) I have not had any brake shimmy/steering wheel shake, and the pedal feel is still consistent. I am replacing the front DBA's w/ the new 4000 T3 slotted rotors, and replacing pads in the front w/ Hawk and in the rear w/ durastop ceramic.

What I'm telling you is, getting 60,000 trouble-free miles out of a set of front rotors is pretty good....especially considering they still perform VERY well. The reason I'm replacing them is I just got a bonus from work and have "everything" else done that needs to be on the car and wanted to just get it where I could simply do oil changes/tire rotations going forward.

The DBA's have started showing ridges/veins on the rotor face so they're getting to the point they'll need changing anyhow. The reason why I'm going back to them is because they performed so well. The "hat" of the rotor did start to show some rust, but so haven't the powerslots and they've seen a few winters...

One last thing...check out autoanything for the DBA's too, and if you never shopped there you can do their new customer discount, they have very good deals regardless on these rotors....

·
every village has one
2,371 Posts
Thanks guys. Any and all input is appreciated. Only reason I really considered DBA's at all is that one of our vendors has a really good price on them. Not much more than I would spend on a quality rotor to begin with. For the most part the DBA's get good reviews, except for a few rust issues I saw. My car is pretty much a sunny day car, so rusting would probably be a non issue anyway. I'll keep my options open.
From a sunny day standpoint, the 4000xs have been on for over a year, and still look like new.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good info Boston. I've got the durastop on now all around, but will be trying another brand with the upgrade. Maybe Hawks. Durastops have been good in the beginning as far as low dust and noise, but I did develop a squeal after about 15K or so. Not sure why at this point. I've already ordered the SS brake lines too. I am a bit curious as to why you are using different brands of pads/rotors front to rear. Why not just use the same? Just a cost savings thing?
I'll check out the vendor you mentioned for pricing. Thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From a sunny day standpoint, the 4000xs have been on for over a year, and still look like new.
:D
That's what I like to hear.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi there I'm the DBA rust guy lol

Awesome rotors in terms of performance in all weather conditions. The paint on them is like that of a sharpie marker, if even.

Would I recommend them? Thats a really hard call to make. I think like some of the other guys have said there are some cheaper alternatives out there. I have heard really good things about the stoptech ones though.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've got power slot rotors. Good quality, look great still and are priced better than DBAs. No doubt DBAs are top of the line............question is: are they worth it for a daily driver/non track car?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
if considering the DBA's you can get them on your porch for <120 each if you play the advance auto discount code game.

·
Proud OGOC member!
770 Posts
Stock rotors work in all situations performance wise...the pads are your big consideration there. As this is not your concern, are you looking for a visual appeal or a talking point? DBA's definitely take the talking point, anything else should do for the visual.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have DBA 4000's, slotted.....no rust issue either...paired them with hawk pads and they perform extremely well...would recommend them all day long, much better than stock. :gears::burnout::eek:ldfogey:

·
Administrator
4,922 Posts
Just finished this research project as well (must have the same personality) and ended up getting the Stoptechs from Auto Brake Center. Have been working with Sean on their sales staff. Great prices and excellent support. Give them a call and if you don't see a Centric/Stoptech product on their site call them, they can get it. I ended up going for the looks over brawn and did the slotted and drilled 127.62113/4 (rear/front). If you want the ultimate in stopping power go with strictly the slotted. Also note, in the drilled and the drilled/slotted they are no longer making rights and lefts. They are only doing that on the slotted only. I don't think you will see the rusting the DBA4000 T3's have been seeing due to Stoptech e-coating being a more robust paint coating.
Are you getting rotors and pads from them or just rotors and if you dont mind how much is it going to run. I have all 4 brembo calipers already and Im working on figuring out which way to go with rotors and pads.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
If you're not tracking it, don't bother with the DBAs unless money isn't an issue.
this... the reason you run the expensive rotors is because of density and ability to take the heat... if you arent going to use that then you just like to "make it rain on dem hoes" with your brake rotors.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Are you getting rotors and pads from them or just rotors and if you dont mind how much is it going to run. I have all 4 brembo calipers already and Im working on figuring out which way to go with rotors and pads.
I only bought the rotors from Auto Brake Center because I wanted Hawk HPS pads. Best Price on Hawk pads was AutoAnything. Best price on ATe Blue Racing brake fluid was Tire Rack and best price on Russell Braided Stainless brake hoses was Amazon. I paid pennies under $700 for these items for front and back.

Mod Bargins just came out with a Stoptech special, sloted and drilled rotors, HP pads and 3 quarts of fluid for $581. That is about what I paid ordering from 3 separate places but I wanted the Hawk pads and ATe blue fluid which cost more. May be more for the Brembo set-up.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The brake pads have more to do with brake performance than the rotors. I put Stop Tech's Street Pads with new GM hardware on freshly turned stock rotors. Fantastic. Smooth, progressive, and powerful when you slam them on. I have had them 6 months now and no squeeks, no vibrations.
Rotors have stayed smooth with no grooves or strange wear marks. Low dust and it washes off easily. 100% happy with my choice.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I only bought the rotors from Auto Brake Center because I wanted Hawk HPS pads. Best Price on Hawk pads was AutoAnything. Best price on ATe Blue Racing brake fluid was Tire Rack and best price on Russell Braided Stainless brake hoses was Amazon. I paid pennies under $700 for these items for front and back.

Mod Bargins just came out with a Stoptech special, sloted and drilled rotors, HP pads and 3 quarts of fluid for $581. That is about what I paid ordering from 3 separate places but I wanted the Hawk pads and ATe blue fluid which cost more. May be more for the Brembo set-up.
Just remember we are talking about 2 different applications here. Silverbullet has brembos and needs Camaro part number pricing and the part numbers you listed are for Pontiac GT brakes. The $581 at Modbargins is for Pontiac G8 v6 brakes(add around $30 for the GT). Autoanything seems to have good pricing on the Stoptech rotors for the Camaro part numbers. I also used Amazon for the SS lines.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Good info Boston. I've got the durastop on now all around, but will be trying another brand with the upgrade. Maybe Hawks. Durastops have been good in the beginning as far as low dust and noise, but I did develop a squeal after about 15K or so. Not sure why at this point. I've already ordered the SS brake lines too. I am a bit curious as to why you are using different brands of pads/rotors front to rear. Why not just use the same? Just a cost savings thing?
I'll check out the vendor you mentioned for pricing. Thanks.
On my first upgrade I did all hawk ceramics 4 corners, DBA rotors front and powerslot rear - only reason I went w/ powerslot on the rear was because it saved me about $120 and you get most of your brake feel/power from the front anyhow.

Reason I did not replace the rear rotors on this second go around was because I think I can get another 20-30,000 out of them (hence my point above) and I just went w/ durastop ceramic in the rear to save a little coin and a small part being I figured they would help extend the rotor life as well being a little less aggressive than the hawk ceramics. I went w/ the same setup again in the front because I had such a good performance bump w/ them I wanted to keep it the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.