Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I just completed sourcing out all the parts for a jacking kit, and now I want to pick up a new factory type rim and tire, and have some questions.

Many questions in fact, but I'll throw them all in here, what the heck.

When I google "Pontiac G8 19" Factory rim", at the top of the search page you see various factory looking rims with many in the $200-$300 range. Sounds good so far. But is it? I know it's probably just the lighting or something like that, but many of the pics of the wheels do look slightly different from each other. Has anyone run across an aftermarket repro wheel with the "wrong" finish on it? Any advice in this area, regarding the rim I should get, or moreso not get?

Now, for the tire. Being the spare, it's not super critical that it matches what I presently have. I'd like it to maybe match what my NEXT set of tires will be, but I have no idea on that at the moment, but that's my next question.

I'm in Florida, and I don't plan on taking it up north, so all weather (at least no snow) is not an issue. But good rain handling is also very important, so that could mean all weather.

So I'm open to suggestions on a good tire for my situation. I've been mostly cruising a very nimble MINI Cooper S for the past 10 years, and since I love to corner and such (and since it responds so well) I've always went with very high performance sticky tires on it. Lately Michelin Pilot Super Sports, also Goodyear Eagle Exhilarates. But the G8 is a whole different animal, and I'll mostly be just cruising it, looking for a nice smooth quiet ride mostly. But I do plan in the future probably switching out the stabilizer bars and some suspension parts, and making it a little more responsive to going into some twisty roads. But again, nothing like I drive my MINI. Any thoughts on specific tires, or classes of tires?

Lastly, for now at least, TPMS sensors.

I'll need to add one in as well, is there any kind of "matching" I will need to do, to integrate it into what I have already? And I've done some preliminary looking/reading around here, and I saw a couple posts about the TPMS sensor batteries going dead. I just picked up my G8 (it’s my second one, although I didn't have the first one more than a few years) and have to assume it still has the originals in it. Is that normal? Do they really last 12 years? What should I expect going forward, just wait till one (or more) fail, then deal with it? Or be more proactive?

Interested in all of your thoughts, on any and all topics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, just reread my post and oh my gosh the grammar and syntax errors. I’ll come back to it later and try to clean it up a bit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi Bruce, I will chime in a couple of the questions that I can. I’ve had a full size spare in my gxp with OEM rim since new. I matched the somewhat lousy Goodyear RSA’s that came on the car at the time. I did not update the spare when I swapped tires out after 10 years to Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ figuring I don’t drive much and the spare is only emergency and temporary use. I also do not have. Tpms on it. I think I recall at the time that might mess up the system by having 5 tires with the Tpms but I may be wrong. So I would check to see if you want or even need a tpms on the spare. As far as life, I was having some trouble with one so I replaced when I go the new tires at about the 10 year mark. They last 8 or so years typically so I would absolutely replace them when you get new tires. I used OEM and bought from local dealer at a discount and they were covered with a 1 year warranty although they did have to order them. As far as tires, I would consider the newer Michelin’s pilot sport All Season 4. Recently put them on my daily driver and I love them. I do wonder if they will start to get noisy like my pilot sport A/S 3+ did after about 25k miles…I finally got rid of them at about 33k miles because the noise was making me crazy. Can’t help on any of the other questions. Good luck.

·
Registered
661 Posts
All season tires
Very much like the Pirrelli P ZERO™ ALL SEASON PLUS we put on the GT.
Very good in the rain

Remember the RSA's as horrific in the wet.

Sensors, unless you own a tire machine, change them all.
I have access to one so I play " the game " with the Gt's winters.
Break just outer bead , push sidewall down, change sensor. No re balance required
Really takes no time but it would be different if you had to drive somewhere , wait, and pay.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yeah, but if you are the sort that would get into a 5 tire rotation schedule , or would use the spare on a long trip , it would be nice to have.
Only takes a couple minutes to reset and get it
" on line" so to speak.

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
Think the fifth wheel sensor is a mute point unless you have a relearning tool or don't mind going through the procedure outlined in the manual. If using the manual's version, the fifth wheel must be located far enough from the others in order to not "confuse" the relearning process. Too much of an inconvenience in my very humble opinion. The daily driver's tire pressure monitoring system sensors were kaput when purchased. The system is pointless since no pressure readings are displayed nor does it show which tire(s) is an issue. Opted to not remedy the problem and deal with the light. Currently, which are on the vehicle? Suggest purchasing a decent looking rim with tire and calling it a day unless you're looking for both new. The sensor's batteries are good for +/- nine years. Twelve years would be an anomaly. Honestly, I'd just by a spare wheel and tire in the same size and call it a day.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Using the owners manual walkaround takes no time, it does not care where the other tires are as it is only concentrating - looking for the sensor that is seeing a pressure change and tags it as the corner you are setting.
My GXP is right beside the GT when I am setting the GT during the summer-winter swap.
There are 4 take offs laying on the ground and the spare in the trunk.
Never has an issue learning the 4 on the car with all the others around.
Imho
Our 2 year old Ford is the " you figure out which tire " system.
Up side to it, no resetting summer to winter.

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
Time was never the issue it's merely the inconvenience factor. The relearn statement was made based upon numerous members having issues relearning the sensors when the winter set were in close proximity or nearby.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After giving it some thought, I decided to pursue going with a full size OEM type tire/wheel arrangement, which would support a 5 wheel rotation, once I replace the tires that are on. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS, as it has great wet/dry traction, and is pretty highly rated on ride quality/road noise and tire treadlife as well.

So if I understand correctly, having a fifth TPMS sensor is doable, just have it somewhat distant when synching the active ones? I picked up a TPMS reset tool to make that operation a little easier also this week.

Now for the wheels. I have some links here, for two different wheels that are "refinished," and have two different name descriptions, as well as pictures. But the text does say that the included pics are NOT necessarily representative of the actual wheel appearance. My question is, are there really two different types of OEM 19" rims? They say one has a "Hyper Silver" finish, while the other has a "Machined Silver" finish. Are there really two types?

Ican't access my Flickr account to upload pics to, so I'll link the two different rims.

Hyper Silver: https://www.detroitwheelandtire.com...ment-6640-hyper-silver-hol-6640-hshshs-a.html

Machined Silver: https://www.detroitwheelandtire.com...ment-6640-machined-silver-hol-6640-msm-a.html

The fact that these are refinished does give me pause, although I have dealt with DWT before for a replacement rim for my wifes G6 GTP, and it was a refinished rim that I couldn't tell from new. Any issues others have had that might be good info?

An original OEM rim is another possibility, but a very, very pricey option.
I did come across this one, it is totally new, and a reproduction of our wheels, but almost too inexpensive, if you know what I mean. But I researched the company some, "Wheelership", and everything I read points to them being reputable with a quality product.

Wheelership "New": 2008-2009 Pontiac G8 Wheels | 19" G8 Rims | The WheelerShip

The only reason I'm probably overthinking this a bit is I am leaning towards enabling a 5 wheel rotation, and don't want to easily have one wheel being pointed out with the comment, "why does that one look different?"

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
289 Posts
I wrestled with putting a spare in the trunk then opt'd for the run flat kit. As the car had nothing in the trunk when I bought it, I purchased a scissor jack, small air compressor and can of tire sealant. Spent about $80 maybe.

This should resolve most tire issues should I have one. If I do shred a tire, I'll call AAA to get me going. Bought an annual subscription for about $40. Yes, I have to pay annually but over 5-7 years, I think it is still less cost than buying a wheel and tire to ride around in the trunk. IMO.

We all have our preferences.

Good luck with your decision..

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
...I'll call AAA to get me going. Bought an annual subscription for about $40. Yes, I have to pay annually but over 5-7 years,..
$40 annually... is this the classic, plus or premier membership?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
289 Posts
Classic..

I also considered how many flats have I had in my lifetime.. Maybe 4-5 and I am getting up there in years. Decided to roll the dice on the occurrence vs cost.

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
Bear in mind, classic is towing up to 7 miles. Plus is towing up to 100 miles. Premium is one tow up to 200 miles and the rest are 100 miles.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
If you want to do the 5 wheel rotation. You can’t use tires that have directional tread.

·
Registered
661 Posts
As for there being different 19-8 sport wheels.
For what I glean from searching around , the " other " finish was was a Holden application.
The North American G8 was always machined face and cleared.

ALY6640U10.PS10 Pontiac G8 Wheel Silver Machined #92217688

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
289 Posts
Understood on the towing. Since I live in northern Virginia, there is probably a garage every 5 miles where I would drive the car.

I am rolling the dice.

Regards..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts