Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current setup (THIS IS ON A GXP):

Kooks mids, HF Cats back thru resonators and an x-pipe....then STRAIGHT PIPES from axle back.

It's amazingly quiet except at startup and WOT. The problem ? Highway drone. I've been bolting the stock GXP axle-backs on for road trips, but they are just too quiet otherwise. So I'm thinking that Solo Machs (with J-pipes ?) would allow decent sound, but dial back the drone. Then I wouldn't be swapping exhausts before/after each trip. And it would look better than straight pipes I'm sure.

Your thoughts ? I assume the Machs bolt up on a GXP with properly matched tube sizes. Or are the GT and GXP axle-back connections different sizes ?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
My current setup (THIS IS ON A GXP):

Kooks mids, HF Cats back thru resonators and an x-pipe....then STRAIGHT PIPES from axle back.

It's amazingly quiet except at startup and WOT. The problem ? Highway drone. I've been bolting the stock GXP axle-backs on for road trips, but they are just too quiet otherwise. So I'm thinking that Solo Machs (with J-pipes ?) would allow decent sound, but dial back the drone. Then I wouldn't be swapping exhausts before/after each trip. And it would look better than straight pipes I'm sure.

Your thoughts ? I assume the Machs bolt up on a GXP with properly matched tube sizes. Or are the GT and GXP axle-back connections different sizes ?
You could put J-pipes on your existing pipes.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could put J-pipes on your existing pipes.

Interesting... guess I'll have to research j-pipes a bit more. I'd still be left with ugly tips though.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
SOLO Sells axle backs, check here. They bolt up right where your other axlebacks do, so it would be a 10 minute swap job. The J-pipes would work perfectly to combat your 1800-2200rpm highway 6th gear drone, trust me, I know!!

Otherwise, you could replace your catback with a solo mach, as you hinted at, and their internal muffler design is an X-pipe so you wouldn't be changing the overall sound much, other than improving it. Here's a link to their catbacks, the official name is "Mach unbalanced" (not shorty, that's a bit louder at all speeds) .

Hope this helps... I know exactly what you're going through (alebit around Fall/Winter 2009 in my car) with the drone issue. The SOLO J-pipes that I co-developed with them are the real deal and work very well, especially so on your GXP. Not only that, but they're adjustable, in case your drone frequency is slightly different than what most G8's have.

--zepcom

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Axle-backs are definitely what I want, so I can just bolt-on.

So the pipe/flange sizes will match okay ?

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Axle-backs are definitely what I want, so I can just bolt-on.

So the pipe/flange sizes will match okay ?

Axlebacks are just that. Mate perfectly to the equivilant to stock axleback location. If your custom-built catback-to-axleback area matches with the stock config... (seems so, since you say you put the stock cans on there from time to time) .... then the SOLO J-pipe Axlebacks will be exactly what you need.

Did you visit the link I provided for the axlebacks?

I'd suggest you call up steve (GOINGSOLO2) and he can answer any additional questions you may have.

--zepcom

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great Zepcom.... thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts