Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me for not researching my paperwork, just noticed on my ride to work.

I have 30k on my 09. I realize the bumper to bumper is done, but now i'm getting a squeal/ticking sound on cold start and driving after taking it out of storage. I'm thinking it's just a pulley or belt. Would this still be covered under powertrain? I need to bring it to the dealer for an inspection anyhow.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I doubt the belt would be covered, but the pulley should be.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright. I'm waiting on brakes to come in before the inspection. Am I doing any harm with the exception of the obvious belt snapping by driving it? Seems to be coming from a pulley near the alt.

·
Registered
524 Posts
When I took my car in for the chirping belt they replaced the harmonic balancer under the warranty and I had to pay for new belts.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I don't think there is any immediate danger. Is the dealer doing your brakes and that's why you're waiting? How long till the parts come in?

·
Registered
74 Posts
FWIW, the dealer thought a belt or accessory bearing was bad on my car. Turned out to be the cam grinding on an exhaust lifter in cylinder #4.

Have it taken in and looked at before a catastrophic failure occurs. My .02 cents...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think there is any immediate danger. Is the dealer doing your brakes and that's why you're waiting? How long till the parts come in?
no i'm doing the job myself. give me some credit. I have the pads, the rotors have an estimated ship date of 4/16. Brakes might even pass but I dont want to chance. Inspection is overdue from the winter when it sat. I can go back to driving the truck but it feels so good to drive the G8 again.

FWIW, the dealer thought a belt or accessory bearing was bad on my car. Turned out to be the cam grinding on an exhaust lifter in cylinder #4.

Have it taken in and looked at before a catastrophic failure occurs. My .02 cents...
i'm 90% sure it's a pulley. I can here it chirping. right in front, but thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine had the sound come from the front passenger side. Take the belt off and start it up. If the chirping is still there, you got bigger problems.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mine is drivers. None of this should really be my problem as it's still under powertrain. I do find it interesting that cars i've beaten on hold up better than a car i have treated with kid gloves.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I had my belt replaced after some squeaking. Replaced it and no noise since. Either way, not a big fix.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mine had the "Squeal/Tick" noise from my 09 GT at 40,000 miles. Turns out they replace the cam and some valve train parts. All under warranty.

I originally thought it was the Crank pulley. I was way off, the sounds can deceive you. Best way to know is to take it to a GM Dealer you trust and know will take good care of your ride.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ugh i really hope they don't have to tear into her. Temps dropped here again and it's been poring so she's been inside anyhow. Hopefully I get the brakes soon.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no i've been driving it and waiting for my powerslot rotors to come in next week. I have no CEL yet so I really do believe it's the pulley. belt looks ok.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Good luck with the dampener replacement. My local dealers refused to replace mine, even after I showed them the TSB. They originally returned the car with visual observation that is was "normal" then I asked for a measurement. It took another day for them to show it was within the TSB limits. I really doubt it was actually measured as there was no sign anything was taken apart. The chirp/squeak was with three different belts. In the end, I came across a ATI ... and it's been silent since.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Forgive me for not researching my paperwork, just noticed on my ride to work.

I have 30k on my 09. I realize the bumper to bumper is done, but now i'm getting a squeal/ticking sound on cold start and driving after taking it out of storage. I'm thinking it's just a pulley or belt. Would this still be covered under powertrain? I need to bring it to the dealer for an inspection anyhow.

thanks.
Hello Belo,

Sorry your experiencing some issues with your vehicle at this time. A trip to a dealer for an accurate diagnosis is the best course of action here. Depending on the pulley and issue, it may be covered under power train but would need a dealer diagnosis. I can help locate a dealer near you and also help set up your appointment as well. I would need some information from you. Could you private message me with your full name, address, phone number, VIN# and vehicle mileage, and your dealership information? Here to help.

Reggie B.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so just to conclude this thread, the dealer looked at this morning and got the chirp to stop by cleaning and lubing the pulleys. Says the belts still have some good life left but if I wanted to change them it'd be $180 in parts and labor :err:. Glad to deal with a good dealer that will only charge me $12 to clean and lube instead.

Hope it doesn't come back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
so just to conclude this thread, the dealer looked at this morning and got the chirp to stop by cleaning and lubing the pulleys. Says the belts still have some good life left but if I wanted to change them it'd be $180 in parts and labor :err:. Glad to deal with a good dealer that will only charge me $12 to clean and lube instead.

Hope it doesn't come back.
Wait, you're HAPPY with a dealership that would charge you $180 for two belts and 10 minutes of their time? Perhaps you are just a happier person than I :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts