Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting a G8 GXP but have been seriously considering an SS instead.

I prefer the styling of the G8 but the updated technology of the SS is swaying me.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A nice GXP is mid $20's and a nice SS is @ $10k more, right? I agree with your assessment of styling and tech. If I were buying now I would go SS. Debadge and black out the chrome. Resist the temptation to put ghey Holden lions all over it.
The Magnetic ride feature and heads up display are the two options that I am really attracted to. Have all electric seats and seat memory features also are very desireable. Lane departure, back up camera, parking assist and everything else I don't really care about. The seats in the SS do look a bit nicer.

Yeah, I think I will go with the SS. I have seen a Holden conversion driving around once and it didn't look too bad. I honestly don't see the point as most people think an SS is just another Chevy Malibu and no one would know what the heck a Holden is.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I test drove the SS and with all the fluff it is a nice ride. But i just didn't like the looks. To me it looks like a Malibu.
The G8 stands out and runs just as good as the SS at a better price.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I agree with buying the SS.
Like we're all on this board because we are die hard G8 owners but at the end of the day we're driving a 10 year old platform that with the exception of most GXP's are declining in value.
Then the parts, some parts are not even available anymore.
Don't get me wrong I still have a man crush on my G8 but if something happened tomorrow I'm moving on, reluctantly, from the G8....unless its a deal that just knocks my socks off....and even then I'd probably kick myself for not being pragmatic and moving on.
I agree with the looks thing, to me it resembles a Malibu which I could live with until somebody said "Nice Malibu". UGH!!!!
This is a moot point for me, as most of you know the SS wasn't available up here in the sticks.
My opinion FWIW.

·
Registered
990 Posts
ss is def a better option newer car better tech features no way you going to find gxp for $25 k with less them 80 k miles. As for SS you can find a low miles one for around $30k. I have both 09 gt and 14 ss and i do love the g8 but SS is just superior car there a few members on hear that have both cars and they will tell you the same.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have both, and they are not the same car

But with GXP values the SS is a great car for not much more money

You want a 2015+ for the MR suspension and visually - the rear brembos, first year of the manual, and different rear valance panel [14 was textured]

The 16/17 have the updated front clip, hood vents, bimodal, and the wheel change

If you want an auto, just like the GXP, expect to pay less.

But I enjoy driving my wifes A6 SS as much as my M6 SS anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
I have both. You would have to drive both to see what you think. The SS is newer and will have more support. GXP is more collectible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
with the SS being discontinue, wouldnt parts be as difficult to find for that too?

i have thought about upgrading to an SS someday, but i would like to stay away from replacement part availability issues

·
Registered
36 Posts
with the SS being discontinue, wouldnt parts be as difficult to find for that too?

i have thought about upgrading to an SS someday, but i would like to stay away from replacement part availability issues
Eventually, yes. GM has an obligation to support their cars for a certain period of time after their production and sale. In the past, I've read eight years and more recently I've read ten years. So parts support for a 2013-2017 model should be available until later in time than for a 2008-2009 model car.

For things that are still in use or produced in large numbers, like the SL80 automatic transmission, industry support will be around for a long time. Body parts for a limited production vehicle, not so much. When GM no longer has a desired part, the salvage yards and Car-Part.com become one's friend.

According to Wikipedia, 28,159 G8's and 12,860 SS's were sold in the US. So there might be more G8's in the salvage yards. Also, a lot of G8 mechanical parts were shared with comparable year Camaro's.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Eventually, yes. GM has an obligation to support their cars for a certain period of time after their production and sale. In the past, I've read eight years and more recently I've read ten years. So parts support for a 2013-2017 model should be available until later in time than for a 2008-2009 model car.

For things that are still in use or produced in large numbers, like the SL80 automatic transmission, industry support will be around for a long time. Body parts for a limited production vehicle, not so much. When GM no longer has a desired part, the salvage yards and Car-Part.com become one's friend.

According to Wikipedia, 28,159 G8's and 12,860 SS's were sold in the US. So there might be more G8's in the salvage yards. Also, a lot of G8 mechanical parts were shared with comparable year Camaro's.
I believe the total G8 production was around 48,000 total between sedans, GTs, and GXPs. More made than SS’S.

Edit! https://g8nation.com/showthread.php?t=7861
Don’t know if those numbers include Canadian cars.

·
Registered
468 Posts
One thing you have to keep in mind if looking for a manual car - the Tremec TR-6060 in the SS shifts much smoother than the unit in the GXP, which is pretty clunky. I would get the SS just for this reason, the improvement in shifting action is very noticeable.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
One thing you have to keep in mind if looking for a manual car - the Tremec TR-6060 in the SS shifts much smoother than the unit in the GXP, which is pretty clunky. I would get the SS just for this reason, the improvement in shifting action is very noticeable.

Older Tremecs didn't have the newer syncros.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Can they be retrofitted into a GXP?
You can purchase the new ones and have them installed. I was going to ship mine to Tick Performance and have them do a full rebuild.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I decided to get the SS. Just too many improvements over the previous G8 GXP. I got the auto trans. My other car is a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport with the manual trans so I am covered there.

Car has the full size spare and sunroof.

I have on order the VCM OTR intake, splashguards, and a replacement cruise control button module ( the previous owner wore down the wheel significantly).

Probably going to do a Diablew tune as well and then I will enjoy the hell out of the car.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts