Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I decided to get the SS. Just too many improvements over the previous G8 GXP. I got the auto trans. My other car is a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport with the manual trans so I am covered there.

Car has the full size spare and sunroof.

I have on order the VCM OTR intake, splashguards, and a replacement cruise control button module ( the previous owner wore down the wheel significantly).

Probably going to do a Diablew tune as well and then I will enjoy the hell out of the car.
Looking good. I like the color matched pairs you have going. Your avatar of the red G8 and GTO remind me of when my black G8 shared the garage with a black GTO.

Yeah. M6 GXP, M6 SS, my wife has an A6 SS which I actually enjoy equally...

Can't go wrong.
That's a nice collection. My husband is looking to trade in his ATS on a Camaro SS. But I found a Chevy SS automatic for sale not far from us. Maybe I could talk him into that instead. I'm too partial to my Pontiac to trade it for an SS, but I would still like one around, even if it's an auto.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Looking good. I like the color matched pairs you have going. Your avatar of the red G8 and GTO remind me of when my black G8 shared the garage with a black GTO.

That's a nice collection. My husband is looking to trade in his ATS on a Camaro SS. But I found a Chevy SS automatic for sale not far from us. Maybe I could talk him into that instead. I'm too partial to my Pontiac to trade it for an SS, but I would still like one around, even if it's an auto.
As much as I like the Camaro [especially Gen 6], I really enjoy the SS as-is for a bit more versatility for our situation.

If I am getting a 2 door in addition to the SS - it will be a C6/7 GS or a 1LE SS

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

The SS is basically a Camaro SS but with a usable back seat, way better visibility, and better looks. Have him drive an SS.

·
Registered
205 Posts
One thing you have to keep in mind if looking for a manual car - the Tremec TR-6060 in the SS shifts much smoother than the unit in the GXP, which is pretty clunky. I would get the SS just for this reason, the improvement in shifting action is very noticeable.

I think my GXP shifts fine, much better than the GTO and Camaro before then. One thing I've learned about the Gen4 Camaro is that the factory clutch for it didn't fully disengage, and that made shifting difficult, and GTO felt to have the exact same issue. Aftermarket RAM clutch was just as bad. But the clutch from S.P.E.C. was the good one, made the shifting easy. I've been quite happy with the GXP shifting, that only 25 years later they've finally managed to figure it out at the factory.

So, is there any chance that the GXP you've seen had an aftermarket clutch that still had this issue with incomplete disengagement?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
13 Participants
sab123
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing