Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I washed the G8 today and decided to do some debadging. Did everything but the arrows. Enjoy.... Sorry picture taken from phone.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice. I originally intended on debadging my entire trunk, but left the arrowhead. I'm glad I did. Glad you did too.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I can't speak for everything else but I decided to take the GM "chicklets" off today and it wasn't that bad. The "glue" isn't too hard to take off. It took a couple of minutes of digging my fingernails into it while it slowly peeled off. I was in the middle of machine polishing my car so I clay-barred the area and then polished it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I ended up using a heat gun and dental floss. I also took the gm chiclets off. Then i used some bug and tar remover our detail shop has just for manufactures auto paint. Im pleased with the results.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Looks like you did a good job, its the opposite of what I did.....I took off the "pontiac" lettering, and rear arrowhead, covered the front arrowhead w/ black decal, took off chicklets....for me I just like seeing "GT" "G8" - and, quite frankly, this car aint no pontiac as of late that's for DAMN sure ahaha:wink2:

I do think it looks good either way, just a little too much badging on the car overall

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was funny I didn't have the badges off off for more than 30 seconds befor a customer at our shop peeked hishead out from parts and said " hey, what is that?" haha

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
Try Goo Gone for removing the residual tape glue. works pretty good on the plates too when I have to replace the annual sticker.

·
2008 G8 GT
1,430 Posts
All gone off the back, I took the GT off the 2 nights after I took this pic;

Chicklets off the side;

Even plastic painted the arrowhead up front;

Last night I taped and plastidipped the arrowheads on the centercaps. I may black out the chrome grill surrouns with plastidip as well.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I took the Pontiac letters off the back last night and had a hell of a time with the tape. Do I need to get it raging hot to peel it off? I scrubbed with a towel, my nail, and goo gone for about 1/2 hour to get the foam tape off. Any suggestions for when I do the G8 and GT? Debating on taking the Pontiac emblem off, I am undecided on that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Being that it was my first time debadging anything, when I used the heat gun, the emblems were too hot to hold on to. Then once I got them off I hit the glue again with the heat gun and rolled it off with my finger, which also was extemely hot to touch. Then for the rest I used bug and tar remover from our detail shop at work (sorry not sure what the brand is).

·
2008 G8 GT
1,430 Posts
My experience has always been to not use too much heat. If one does use too much heat it bakes the glue/adhesive/foam to the paint making it much harder to get it all off.

Just enough heat to get the badge to pull away and then hold the heat/blowdryer far enough away just to keep things warm and soft. Again, too hot will harden the glue making it extra hard to get off.

·
****cray
2,199 Posts
i used a hair dryer, and it worked perfectly. took all of the
badging off. i did think about putting the g8 back on, but
now that i've been looking at it totally debadged, it looks like
crap with the letters back on it...

·
Registered
481 Posts
All gone off the back, I took the GT off the 2 nights after I took this pic;

Chicklets off the side;

Even plastic painted the arrowhead up front;

Last night I taped and plastidipped the arrowheads on the centercaps. I may black out the chrome grill surrouns with plastidip as well.

You should look into getting a license plate surround/holder, and paint match it. It gets rid of most of the white and blends into the car better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts