Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I just joined this forum. I come here quite often anyway to look for answers regarding our, now EXTINCT vehicles. The other day I was trying to clear off polenta from the windshield and no water came put of my wipers. I looked under hood and there was wash splattered everywhere. The "hose" (would love to curse the person who decided that was a good idea), that runs into the cowl is a hard plastic and has become brittle from the heat of the engine, and has cracked in multiple places. I was going to be smart and use some plumbing hose from lowes to restore water flow connection. WELL... as soon as I ever so slightly pulled on that hose, the whole thing just chunks off! I am a female, and know very few things on cars but I do know how to tinker. I have followed steps by another member on here on how to remove the cowl. I have gotten all of the black top pop rivets off. There are white ones underneath the cowl that has to come off. I've tried using a long flathead screwdriver to no avail. Also, there are yellow ones I have no clue how to get off. My problems
1. Dealership wants to charge $300+ to fix a damn hose. 2. I cant seem to get cowl off to fix it myself. 3. The part cannot be ordered anymore. Holden has quit production and Pontiac is no longer. I'm sure you all can understand my frustration! Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Does a newer SS or Caprice PPV have an interchangeable part?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Hello all! I just joined this forum. I come here quite often anyway to look for answers regarding our, now EXTINCT vehicles. The other day I was trying to clear off polenta from the windshield and no water came put of my wipers. I looked under hood and there was wash splattered everywhere. The "hose" (would love to curse the person who decided that was a good idea), that runs into the cowl is a hard plastic and has become brittle from the heat of the engine, and has cracked in multiple places. I was going to be smart and use some plumbing hose from lowes to restore water flow connection. WELL... as soon as I ever so slightly pulled on that hose, the whole thing just chunks off! I am a female, and know very few things on cars but I do know how to tinker. I have followed steps by another member on here on how to remove the cowl. I have gotten all of the black top pop rivets off. There are white ones underneath the cowl that has to come off. I've tried using a long flathead screwdriver to no avail. Also, there are yellow ones I have no clue how to get off. My problems
1. Dealership wants to charge $300+ to fix a damn hose. 2. I cant seem to get cowl off to fix it myself. 3. The part cannot be ordered anymore. Holden has quit production and Pontiac is no longer. I'm sure you all can understand my frustration! Any help would be much appreciated!
I will get you some photos next time i am at my parts car. Last i recall it pulled up but i am sure others will reply with a more definitive answer

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here's a reference for the installation of the windshield cowl and sheds light on how many clips you need to remove.
https://www.g8board.com/forums/3335554-post47.html

The windshield washer fluid hose is a part of the larger windshield cowl, and feeds through the hollow metal rail as shown in the third photo.

The hose part# is 92185187 which as you know is discontinued. The Chevy SS hose part# is 92282277 but from the diagrams I saw, the hose design is different.

Another option is to buy a universal hose kit.
https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-W..._4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1556021955&sr=1-4

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
...The other day I was trying to clear off polenta from the windshield...
Polenta is a dish of boiled cornmeal that was historically made from other grains. It may be served as a hot porridge, or it may be allowed to cool and solidify into a loaf that can be baked, fried, or grilled.
:dunno:

·
every village has one
2,364 Posts
Maybe the polentas are in bloom:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Here's a reference for the installation of the windshield cowl and sheds light on how many clips you need to remove.
https://www.g8board.com/forums/3335554-post47.html

The windshield washer fluid hose is a part of the larger windshield cowl, and feeds through the hollow metal rail as shown in the third photo.

The hose part# is 92185187 which as you know is discontinued. The Chevy SS hose part# is 92282277 but from the diagrams I saw, the hose design is different.

Another option is to buy a universal hose kit.
https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-W..._4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1556021955&sr=1-4
Mine is broken too, but I've been too lazy to try and fix it. Good to know that it's been discontinued though, I'll have to try the universal kit.

·
Registered
09 G8 GT 427 LS3
272 Posts
I found some 5 & 6mm nylon line on EBAY. Since I can't put a flair on the end of the line like the factory line I went with the 6mm for the added girth. Hopefully it will fit in the channel that the factory line was in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Is the nylon line available in black as well?

·
Registered
09 G8 GT 427 LS3
272 Posts
It might be. The first black tubing I found & put in my cart was shipping from China.
I said screw that & just looked for someone in the US.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
China - been there and done that. Purchase took almost forever to arrive. US customs held it for the longest and lessons learned.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
It is still just hose that can be replaced. The broken plastic line can be replaced with rubber. Can you take a photo showing where it broke? To start you will want to get a clip remover.
This is the one I have.

·
Registered
09 G8 GT 427 LS3
272 Posts
Mine broke off on the hidden line at the barb on the pass. side. I had never noticed the rubber connector just below the cowl. In my curiosity I just barely touched it and it fell off. (n)

·
Registered
09 G8 GT 427 LS3
272 Posts
The 6mm hose is a little too big. I can get it to fit in most of the channel except where it attaches to the feed hose. That is a short enclosed passage & I can't see underneath the cowl to get a feel for if the hose is too big for the passage or the bend is too tight.
Anyway, I have about an inch of yellow tubing exposed. I think I can live with it for the near future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts