21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Hawthorne Engine 1
889 Posts
great write up!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've got a PBM, 3rd black car I've owned. Keeping the car swirl free is important to know these wash basics, but also the best tip I ever got about owning a black car is to "get it clean & stay off it" since no matter how careful you are, you are still introducing new fine scratches while washing & waxing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Fan spray and don't get too close to the paint... I've seen people pull up a section of paint using a pressure washer. It hooked a small stone chip in their hood, by the time he realized what happend it had peeled a section of paint back about 8 inches.

Also bear in mind hard sprays will knock down your protective coatings faster... using a fan spray and keeping yourself a good distance from the paint should be the #1 things to watch for when using a pressure washer.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Any waxing writeups/suggestions/etc? I've been too lazy for too long on the wax job.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Also advise on swirl removal would be appreciated. Somehow this thing had really minor swirls right off the lot. Must have sat out in the harsh winter a while :|

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'll do you one better... how about videos instead of a writeup?

Bare with these, they're slightly outdated as far as product specifics, but the general principles all remain the same. The new video should be uploaded soon to replace all of these with more up to date info: http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx

Taking it a step further AJ (the junkman) a friend and fellow Adams guy has a few video series that will take you thru all the finer points of a PC, from how to set it up to how much product to use, to how to work the polish, etc. Probably the most comprehensive "HOW TO" on the porter cable polisher you'll ever see:

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2386

and for the more advanced users the "slow cut" method video:

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3667

·
Registered
640 Posts
Please explain how the Swirl and Haze Remover & the Fine Machine Polish work to remove swirls. Am I safe to assume they take a small layer out of the clear coat to 'level' the paint? How often should each product be used? Very apprehensive to do anything 'potentially' damaging to a fairly new vehicle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
...holy crap, I sure hope there's not gunna be a quiz. I'm going to have to digest this in parts as needed.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yea no kidding there's a lot of stuff here!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Dylan,

Im having a really tough time with water spots everwhere. Ive been using the gold class wash by meguiers (sp). From what Ive read here Ill be placing an order with adams this week though. I have a whole house filter that I bought from homedepot and its a 2 micron carbon filter.

Before I would clean a panel at a time and rinse as I go. The last two times I cleaned the entire car and then rinsed the car followed by just letting the water flow. I wash my car when the sun is setting so its blocked by other houses. No matter what I have really bad spots. Any tips?

·
Pooper Scooper!!!
3,728 Posts
paramount, in some other threads, members have talked about De-ionizing water filters as the only way to really stop water spots, and others have talked about using things like leaf blowers to blow the water off the car after washing it. I do the one panel at a time method too but I still have to deal with water spots. It's especially tough down here in Texas with the hot weather, but I'm going to start using the output with attachments of my shop-vac to blow as much water off my car as possible. You gotta get those spots off ASAP!

·
Registered
518 Posts
rich n texas,

Yeah, Ive been looking at those filters. I just figured the current 2 micron filter would help some but I guess not. Becareful with the shop vac as it would probably blow whatever is inside the container out.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Dylan,

Im having a really tough time with water spots everwhere. Ive been using the gold class wash by meguiers (sp). From what Ive read here Ill be placing an order with adams this week though. I have a whole house filter that I bought from homedepot and its a 2 micron carbon filter.

Before I would clean a panel at a time and rinse as I go. The last two times I cleaned the entire car and then rinsed the car followed by just letting the water flow. I wash my car when the sun is setting so its blocked by other houses. No matter what I have really bad spots. Any tips?
Your filter is definitely putting a dent in the amount of minerals, but it can't stop them all. Principle thing to do is get rid of the spots you have... for that a claybar and polishing treatment will get you back to square one.

As for preventing future spots, using our car soap will be a huge help to you. It is perfectly pH balanced and suspends mineral deposits, so in the event it does dry on your paint you won't have water spotting left behind. As for drying you can go the "blower route" a cheap electric leaf blower or even an air compressor can blow most of you water off. Sounds like you already have the right idea by using the open hose to 'sheet' the water off of the paint.

Additionally I'd recommend misting your paint with our detail spray and drying with the white microfiber drying towel. The detail spray will go that extra mile to lubricate the surface, suspend mineral deposits, and hopefully leave you with a spot free finish.

Another thing to look at is waterless washing. If your car isn't to the point where it gets more than just lightly dirty waterless wash is killer. Thats all I've been using on my TBSS for months now, if theres no water, no water spots!!

If you need help putting together the essentials for an order drop me an email or feel free to start a "help me!!" thread in the detailing section so anyone else with the same questions can get their answers at the same time. Theres a number of ways to approach this, I can tailor something that will fit your budget, needs, and skill level.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Believe it or not, the Mr. Clean Autodry thing works pretty well. If used properly it really does leave (at least when I have used it) a spot free finish.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Dylan,

Thanks, I will definitely clay and polish this comming week. Ill also put an order for the soap and the waterless wash. I normally wash twice a week so the waterless sounds perfect.

Skyview, I have the autodry thing and it works great at my inlaws shore house, but it leaves all kinds of spots at my house. (even when hooked up to the filter).

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Hey Dylan,

Can I use the waterless wash as a clay lubricant? I think I read somewhere that I could, but I just want to make sure.

I'd also really like to see the answer to this question posted earlier
Please explain how the Swirl and Haze Remover & the Fine Machine Polish work to remove swirls. Am I safe to assume they take a small layer out of the clear coat to 'level' the paint? How often should each product be used? Very apprehensive to do anything 'potentially' damaging to a fairly new vehicle.
Thanks

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Hey Dylan,

Can I use the waterless wash as a clay lubricant? I think I read somewhere that I could, but I just want to make sure.

I'd also really like to see the answer to this question posted earlier

Thanks
I know you can use the Detail Spray with clay, not sure about the WW.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
About this Discussion
79 Replies
36 Participants
pony killer
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing