Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a bit of a leak through the air cabin filter. It ended up being a rubber stripping that came off on the left hand side of the air cabin filter box. Had it sealed with heavy duty silicone.

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Yet another thing to check as a precautionary measure and did the water leak destroy the cabin air filter?

·
Registered
203 Posts
While you have it apart make sure the drain at the bottom is clear,that can also clog up due to debries falling threw the upper cowl vents wear the fresh air come in,(pollen;leaves)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it did not destroy the air cabin filter but I will replace it anyways. There was no debrie in the air cabin filter housing. The G8 Gt & v6 have different drain hole locations for some reason.

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Good deal. Was unaware of the different drain locations between the two models and can't help but to wonder the reasoning.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did not know that either,whenever I change the cabin filter I always blow out drain,especially here in New Jersey where I live i Have alot of trees in my area

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
+1. And vacuum the slot area where the filter sits. Awhile ago, noticed the "seal" and thought it looked a bit...unsure... for lack of a better term at the moment.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The drain on the GT is on the left side not near the bottom, but on the base it is at the bottom on the right side. Both drains were okay. Having this small weather stripping coming off the GT I had to look at my base V6 not sure why they are different. Since the Air cabin filters are fairly inexpensive 7 or 8 dollars I will replace both.

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Awhile ago, read some members were paying in excess of $25 per cabin air filter, but am always able to find an aftermarket deal on the rock that sell auto parts.com for significantly fewer coins.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a an automotive place that sells a lot of ac delco parts near me. The cabin filters are called pronto & look almost identical to the OEM. I am sure at this point they have gone up in price but they are probably 10 or 11 dollars will see later this week. Both of my drains were free of debrie. The cabin filters do not look that bad but both of them have a slight water stain.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are TWO different filters from Delco also I'll find the OE # [it is more expensive]

Many of the aftermarket ones do not seal the opening nearly as well and that can cause other issues when trying to seat the filter FYI

Lower cost is not always worth the headache.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are TWO different filters from Delco also I'll find the OE # [it is more expensive]

Many of the aftermarket ones do not seal the opening nearly as well and that can cause other issues when trying to seat the filter FYI

Lower cost is not always worth the headache.
I agree but in my case that was not the issue. The filters are 9.64 ea.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found out the other day water was still leaking ended up being the gasket behind the air cabin filter box itself. Had to take off the windshield cowl & wipers to access this. Looking at the design I am surprised more people have not had this issue. Did a water test with the cowl off so water seeping into the air cabin filter box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts