Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to the MSU car show in the morning, but figure by noon or 1PM I'll have seen enough and head back towards home. On the "way home" I was goign to stop at the track and watch a little racing on the track. Their site says it's "open track day" sunday but doesn't give any hours.

so my questions are:
1) anyone have an idea how late they run?
2) I imagine they divide them up into groups of similar cars, do they list a schedule like "group R at 4, group E at 5" at the track?
3) Which group would I want to watch to see G8 type cars?
4) anyone with a G8 going? :)

I'd be racing but I've never done track stuff so I'd want to take a class first. I also need to get my brakes done beforehand. I need pads and probly rotors so I'll just swap it all out for 4 piston CTS-V :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I ran my G8 GT at Waterford for an open track day. It is challenging to say the least, due mostly to lots of tight turns -- some of them on narrow pavement -- for a sedan as big as the G8. All other cars were smaller on my day, so my "group" didn't matter much. Frankly, it wasn't much fun because cars would back up behind me in the turns, and then I would have to allow them to pass on a straight -- one of which is short and a little dangerous when it crests at the end, and the other is not especially long either. I topped out once around 100 mph as it ended but spent most of the time driving 40-70.

That's why it's called a "technically challenging track," I guess. Good performance tires & healthy brakes are critical. And to clarify, an open track event generally does not include racing, or at least it didn't when I was there. It's an HPDE, meaning no passing except on straights etc. But maybe I'm wrong or things have changed; it's hard to tell from info you provided. Best to call for info directly from the track, if it's not clear on their web site. Or if you have time anyway, just stop by and take a look, ask questions, and decide whether to participate or just watch. I believe Waterford Hills may be staffed only on weekends, which can make it hard to get info at times.

Whatever they do, my recollection is they run from maybe 10 a.m. until about 5 p.m., possibly a little later if enough cars are still driving around. Groupings probably depend on who shows up. I'd consider joining you but won't be back in MI until late May or June. In fact I hope to attend an HPDE at Homestead in FL this weekend, but having trouble getting HPDE insurance that includes liability coverage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's been a few years since I've run at Waterford but I doubt they've changed much.

1. Most of the time they run til the sun starts to set, so probably around 6ish. It's all about visibility and safety.
2. Some of it has to do with the cars, some of it has to do with the driver. Typically they have a beginner, novice, experienced and advanced group, something along those lines. They can/will make adjustments to the run groups based on how the traffic is flowing on track. There isn't a schedule, each group gets 20 minutes on track and they just keep rotating through them throughout the day.
3. Could be any of the groups. If you spend an hour or two there you'll likely get a chance to see all of the cars on track.
4. I wish I was, but I'm hosting the car show at MSU haha. A friend of mine (and MSURC alumni) will be there in his white Scion tC (he also owns a camaro but it's under the knife right now). His name is Brad, he's a great guy and a talented driver, you should say hi if you see him, he'll be able to answer some questions for you as well and possibly give you a ride (if they are still allowing them).

Look forward to seeing you on Sunday, and I approve of leaving early to go watch at WH :p.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4. I wish I was, but I'm hosting the car show at MSU haha. A friend of mine (and MSURC alumni) will be there in his white Scion tC (he also owns a camaro but it's under the knife right now). His name is Brad, he's a great guy and a talented driver, you should say hi if you see him, he'll be able to answer some questions for you as well and possibly give you a ride (if they are still allowing them).

Look forward to seeing you on Sunday, and I approve of leaving early to go watch at WH :p.

Nice! If I can get some other mods done this year like brakes and some suspension upgrades I might be able to be in both events next year ;) I'll bring my helmet on the odd chance I can do a ride-along.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll be out at a handful of track days this season I'm sure, I'd like to do one in the G8 but the RX7 is already prepped pretty well so we'll see if I get around to putting some better pads/fluid on the tank :p.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts