Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
652 Posts
Removed the doors....I like riding safari style!

Rear resonance weights are the main thing I have heard of besides running lighter wheels.

· Premium Member
5,644 Posts
Only weight reduction I have done is full exhaust and the rear subframe weights. Everything else has made the car heavier...

· Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Exhaust System + Wheels + Removed Engine Cover = Probably not a whole lot, but it is weight reduction none the less. I used to do burn out power curls with the GT mufflers! Those things are crazy heavy!!

· Premium Member
2,891 Posts
How bout the spare tire????????????

· Registered
2,180 Posts

· Registered
584 Posts
all seats and use a 5 gallon bucket.

but seriously lol the for drag racing, take all the seats out, gto spares, no gas, and no mufflers.

· Cars are my hobby...
1,980 Posts
Maverick Man Hood = -20lbs
My Rims are around -20 IIRC
My Procharger +50? lol
Net results? Weight increase.

I also added dynamat, better speakers, better rear 8" subs, amp, and another unit.

I would imagine a normal person would do exhaust, hood, rims, stereo removal, switch to forge aluminum anywhere you can (LCA if anyone still makes them), etc..

· Registered
379 Posts
I went on a diet a few weeks ago. already lost 10lbs.

car is pretty much a lost cause...

· Registered
2,044 Posts
I have a bunch of data since I pretty much weighed everything..... I just cant find it now and will get back to this over the weekend and put something on this thread also....
(more to follow with weights),,,,

My weight increase program included:
434 Iron block; 6 point roll cage; bmr subframe supports; 4L80; procharger/intercooler; 9" rear end with iron strange center w/truetrac;

My weight reduction thoughts:
Skinnys (havent tried yet but all set to go :) )
remove BMR subframe supports (with cage shouldnt need these)
remove rear subframe weights
race seats (weigh only a couple pounds less than the stock seats but need to remove the 6 way power seat adjustors which is most of the weight... and replace with custom mounts.... working on those over the next 2 weeks... should reduce seat weight on drivers side alone by over 30lbs-40lbs)
remove passenger seat (15 minutes)
remove trunk cover (10 seconds)
remove rear lower seat (5 minutes)
go to aftermarket battery.... save 20lbs or so...
remove from sway bar
possibly remove Air conditioning compressor (depends on how close I get to 9's if I will do this or not)

· Registered
37 Posts
Not really sure if anyone cares, probably don't. But I was lookign into some of the specs on the V8 supercars, and one for the things that stands out was the weight, they weigh in with driver at 3,086 pounds (already did the conversion). No obviously they are completly stripped race cars, but still that's a big difference from what our are stock.

· Registered
2,044 Posts
Not really sure if anyone cares, probably don't. But I was lookign into some of the specs on the V8 supercars, and one for the things that stands out was the weight, they weigh in with driver at 3,086 pounds (already did the conversion). No obviously they are completly stripped race cars, but still that's a big difference from what our are stock.
I think its very interesting... shows that it can be done but it would be awesome to get some learning out of them.... i am sure they all have fibergass and lexan panels, carbon fiber, etc.... I wonder if there frame is the same or completely custom?.. would love to find out!!!!! anyone have info???

· Registered
367 Posts
LTs-15lbs?
Full Exhaust(Solo axle back is light too-30lbs?
Converter-5lbs?
CCWs-35lbs?
CAI-5lbs?
FAST 102-same?
BC Coilovers-30lbs?

· Registered
3,138 Posts
I've done a lot of things to the GT over the years... most covered in other threads I believe.

So far on the GXP I have removed the rear subframe weights, switched to a smaller Optima battery, installed long tubes with non catted connectors, the rear brembos felt lighter then the stock caliper and I went to a two piece brake rotor to save a few lbs.

Car also has 18lb OZ wheels which saves about 10lbs a corner, Pedders XA's are a bit lighter then the stock spring/shock assembly, Katech flywheel is a few lbs lighter then stock, no engine cover, etc..

Soon to have a one piece driveshaft which should reduce rotating weight as well.

· Registered
486 Posts
I'm going the opposite direction. Car weighed 3970 from factory with 1/4 tank, now weighs 4040.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.