Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Weird intermittent issue that happens.

Once in a blue moon my key wont come out of the ignition, as the cylinder wont shut past ACC when shutting the car. I noticed that this coincides with my side mirror controls being unresponsive to the adjustment controls. I have never had one happen without the other, so at times when lets say i try to adjust my mirror down to park near a curb, and it doesnt work, I already know that when I shut the car, the key wont come out. The weird part is, that the mirrors are the only adjustment that this is the case. The windows, locks, etc have never ceased to work, even in the condition described above.

• The window/lock/mirror controls have been replaced so I can rule that out.
  • I have tried removing the console trim and played around with jiggling different wires in there while holding down one of the buttons to see what worked, and nothing was apparent
  • Shift lock works exactly like it should
  • Doors lock and unlock correctly when going into and out of park
My gut is that there is some random wire, maybe a ground, that is shared between the shift lock and the mirror controls, that may be loose somewhere. Has anyone ever had this issue?

Also, does anyone have the wiring schematics of these areas they can scan or take a photo of so I can try to troubleshoot this? It gets quite annoying having to sit in the car trying to bang different things and take apart the console to wiggle wires trying to make it work for a half hour when I park somewhere I need to be !

edit: think I found the answer here:
http://www.g8board.com/forums/808131-post73.html

Going to give that a shot

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
^^^^^ I like the way you are thinking. It sure does read like the R8 relay is intermittent. If that's the way I'm reading your post (an you choose to reverse it with a matching relay for verification), be prepared for the other circuit to now possibly have intermittent failure/dropout conditions. I'm thinking there's a chance, that just the action of removing an installing relays, might eliminate the intermittent condition. That would then mess up your mind as to what the heck was happening here. I've read that these relays are very low priced if needed. Hope you post back with the results, if solved.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^^^ I like the way you are thinking. It sure does read like the R8 relay is intermittent. If that's the way I'm reading your post (an you choose to reverse it with a matching relay for verification), be prepared for the other circuit to now possibly have intermittent failure/dropout conditions. I'm thinking there's a chance, that just the action of removing an installing relays, might eliminate the intermittent condition. That would then mess up your mind as to what the heck was happening here. I've read that these relays are very low priced if needed. Hope you post back with the results, if solved.

I put a new one in today... since this would happen very on and off sometimes weeks in between, only time will tell if this fixed it. Hopefully in a few months I will have forgotten about it completely, because that will mean it was as simple as the relay! Thank you so much for your work and time you put into helping others out here Gopherit!

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Alternatively, could have swapped relays from another item with no known issues to test the R8 relay in a different location. However, given the cost of a new relay probably not worth the additional hassle. Hopefully a new relay resolves the problem and it would be nice if General Motors installed an extra relay or two just like they do the fuses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts