Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started happening a couple days ago I cannot figure out what's causing this. But this is REALLY starting to bug me.

I have this rattle noise that almost sounds like an old trailer hitch, coming from the right rear area underneath the car when you hit bumps. I crawled under the car as much as I could yesterday (no lift or jack) and couldn't find it.

However, there is one spot by the right rear wheel where the exhaust definitely nudges a spot on the uni-body if you give the exhaust a good whack with the palm of your hand. It's too close, and I will adjust it. But the sound is totally different. It's not the same tone as the rattle/shake I'm hearing when the car is moving.

Is there anything in that area of the car that could cause this? Aside from the exhaust, I'm out of ideas. Cause I have a feeling that when I fix the exhaust clearance issue, the problem isn't going to go away. Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I might have had the same problem as you do. I found that the rattle came from the rear door. Try and push down on the rear door just below the window from the outside and see if you can repeat the sound. I found my door to be the cause of the noise and all I did to fix it was loosen the door latch(silver piece that is held on by two bolts that the door latches to) and move it in towards the inside of the car and my problem was solved.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might have had the same problem as you do. I found that the rattle came from the rear door. Try and push down on the rear door just below the window from the outside and see if you can repeat the sound. I found my door to be the cause of the noise and all I did to fix it was loosen the door latch(silver piece that is held on by two bolts that the door latches to) and move it in towards the inside of the car and my problem was solved.
I found that there was some play in the latch and there is a slight "clicking" noise when you push down on the door. Could you hear the noise louder when you had your windows rolled down?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I heard it with the windows up when I had my latch problem. If you hear it pushing on it then it will be worse or louder when you drive and hit a bump as mine was. I never tried listening with the windows down.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard it with the windows up when I had my latch problem. If you hear it pushing on it then it will be worse or louder when you drive and hit a bump as mine was. I never tried listening with the windows down.
I will adjust the latch today. One less interior rattle gone none the less.

·
Registered
120 Posts
let me know the results. I think my driver door needs to be adjusted as well because it just started rattling.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
let me know the results. I think my driver door needs to be adjusted as well because it just started rattling.
That's not what it was. The best way I can describe the sound is like a loose trailer hitch ball going down the road, combined with a 3'' exhaust clamp rattling around on a 2.5'' piece of pipe. Weird...

·
Registered
120 Posts
i also read a thread where someone has a weird nose and all it was only a rock that had set in the suspension and rattled inside every time he hit a bump. i will try and look for it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a f&%king rock in my control arm. And it's in the absolute hardest place possible to get at. :mad: I've torn the skin off my index finger trying to pull the thing out but it's too big. Going to try a few things, but if no luck, the wheel has to come off at the very least.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It's a f&%king rock in my control arm. And it's in the absolute hardest place possible to get at. :mad: I've torn the skin off my index finger trying to pull the thing out but it's too big. Going to try a few things, but if no luck, the wheel has to come off at the very least.
Wow,

Incredibly sorry to hear about that. Please keep us updated on whether this situation gets handled.

William R.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow,

Incredibly sorry to hear about that. Please keep us updated on whether this situation gets handled.

William R.
GM Customer Care
Shouldn't be an issue once I take the wheel off this Friday. Thank you for your concern!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Negative. Any good way to do that without a jack or lift?
For the stab link, you grab the sway bar near the link and try to shake it up and down. You'll feel it's loose and almost a "click" feel in the link. For the strut , it's just a visual inspection. Look where shaft goes into the body and see if there is any fluid leaking.

·
Registered
120 Posts

^HA!!
your not the first or last with this issue. At least you don need to spend $$$ for this repair

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^HA!!
your not the first or last with this issue. At least you don need to spend $$$ for this repair
I got it out today. I hope no one has to ever deal with this pain in the butt! I had to take the wheel off but was lucky enough to get it out of there without taking the control arm apart.

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts