Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short, I replaced most of the suspension components on the beast this summer. I went with Pedders GSR Struts and shocks, BMR Super Pro bushings in both the front and rear suspension, kept the stock springs because I'm old and I like where the car sits. The car has the ZL1 blower and lid and CTSV wheels.

Problem: Intermittently, when accelerating on the highway and merging to the left, the steering wheel begins to wobble from side to side quite violently until I slow down to under 60 mph. One morning while driving into work, the wobble began and was the worst it's ever been. I work at a dealership and the guys in the shop took a look at it. Turns out the left front tire is contacting the strut housing. I do have 5 mm spacers on the front rotors due to the CTSV wheels. Car goes straight on surface streets, but at highway speeds and turning left, wheel rubs.

The car did not do this until it was aligned after the suspension work.

I found the Wretched pdf's about the bushing timing and I'm wondering if this could be the culprit?

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas? I did cheap out and had the alignment done at a tire shop since I was unemployed at the time.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Which SuperPro strut mount bushings were installed?"

The polylast ones.

"How soon after the suspension work was the alignment done? "

2-3 days, but the car wasn't driven other than the shop to home and home to tire place.

And no print out was given. Should have asked for one.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Issue might have existed after the suspension work was performed, but wasn't noticed until after the alignment and driving the vehicle. Without a computer printout, difficult to say if the alignment is a contributing factor. Check out this video, How to Inspect your Front Suspension.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
So struts and bushings replaced but no control arms? Where on the strut is it making contact? Is it ahead of the strut centre line or behind it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
In my experience, a lot of alignment shops have their machines miscalibrated. So it's possible that they had set too little camber, in particular on the left (or maybe it's the driver's weight on the left makes the left side rub but not the right side). Try re-checking the alignment at another shop and comparing it with the sheet from the first shop. And maybe just adding positive camber.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts