Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after the problems with oil pressure one day and no oil pressure the next I decided to do the oil pump. After removing it and tearing it completely apart the oil pump is in very good condition for 200,000 miles. The relief valve plunger appears to be in very good condition with only a little bit of noticeable where at the top. I ordered a high-volume high-pressure pump I’m hoping this fixes whatever problems the car may have I just still do not understand where this oil pressure could be going. On a sidenote the timing chain and guides appear to be in great condition with no slack so they are staying and if I look in to the cam I can see that it is in pretty good condition with minimal wear from the rollers. This car has got me beating my head up against the wall

· Registered
3,024 Posts
There are clues in your prior threads on this board as well as your post on facebook.
Best pump for the L76 with AFM is OEM GM direct replacement.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are clues in your prior threads on this board as well as your post on facebook.
Best pump for the L76 with AFM is OEM GM direct replacement.
I already ordered a Melling high volume high-pressure pump says it’s good for engines with high mileage with not so tight hearing tolerances. I just don’t know where to go with it I looked inside and saw the cam and it’s really not in bad shape obviously I can’t see the bearings but I would’ve thought I would’ve seen some wear inside the oil pump.

· Registered
5,346 Posts
Your original pump being fine is no surprise. What condition was the pick up O-ring in? Was the pick up not seated properly like this?
Automotive tire Bumper Bicycle part Rim Metal

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your original pump being fine is no surprise. What condition was the pick up O-ring in? Was the pick up not seated properly like this? View attachment 190064
Pick up tube seemed to be installed flat but the O-ring is definitely square. I took the O-ring off of the tube and when I placed it into the pump it is loose inside of the pump obviously it’s not on the tube anymore but I would still think the O-ring should fit inside the pump tightly not being on the tube. I don’t know if this car just has me dumbfounded with this oil pressure. I have read a little bit about the relief valve in the oil pan on top of the oil filter but it seems like that wouldn’t cause the problem from all that I have read about how it works. And no one has said if you can get to that valve to even look at it through the oil filter or to the little cover that’s above the oil filter. Thanks for your input and let me know what you think

· Super Moderator
596 Posts
Your new oil pump will likely fix the issue, because you'll replace that old hard o-ring at the same time, haha. There's a pressure bypass in the oil pan too, you can inspect it or plug it if you have it dropped.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your new oil pump will likely fix the issue, because you'll replace that old hard o-ring at the same time, haha. There's a pressure bypass in the oil pan too, you can inspect it or plug it if you have it dropped.
Well the car still has the DOD still install so I couldn’t block that off I was just wondering if there was a way to at least inspect it through the oil filter. From what I’ve seen in pictures it’s right on top of the oil filter housing inside the pan

· Premium Member
5,681 Posts
I say a YouTube video a while back about some things you need to change of fix on an LS motor. One of them was a seal under the front cover that could cause low pressure indications if it went bad. Might look into that.

Found it!

Reactions: GT Drew and Danv508

· Registered
3,024 Posts
Someone did some thread cleaning -

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How many different threads do we need for the same issue????
OK I really don’t see the problem here. It has already been discussed that I didn’t know that replying to my post would bring it back up to the top of the list if you didn’t wanna view it you could’ve kept on scrolling. And like I stated before this post is after I believe I found the problem if you don’t have anything to add then move along

1 - 11 of 11 Posts