Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
The list is long and stunning! But what are you gonna do? Maybe when, or if as the case may be, GM gets its proverbial **** together, we may see the current version of one or both on our fair shores!:)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to make sure people know I'm still angry first of all! Then, I'm going to build myself an angry army! Then, we're all going to protest in front of the Ren-Cen demanding our G8 Utes and Wagons! Complete with a huge burnout front and center to get their attention!

Either that, or I'm going to bitch some more, and eventually give up and buy something else.

·
I chase paper!!!
1,130 Posts
The ST was an excellent idea IMHO. I hate that they cancelled it, yet production is still underway for the G3. Both were rebadges and probably cost little to produce.

So much for pontiac becoming a niche performance brand.:bs:

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
The list is long and stunning! But what are you gonna do? Maybe when, or if as the case may be, GM gets its proverbial **** together, we may see the current version of one or both on our fair shores!:)
They've had how many years to get their **** together? And it still hasn't happened. I hope you're not holding your breath.

·
Alexander Haig
1,858 Posts
Maybe we SHOULD at least make our statement of disdain and disappointment directly to GM. Worst case we send handwritten via snail mail and we are all out 42 cents. Better would be via email which will get before them quicker. Does not mean we'll get anything more than a cordial thank you but...but it could be one of those situations where if we did not try and could have made a difference...

The Solstice and Sky communities have started a grassroots effort to convince GM to "Save the Kappas" and not let them simply disappear at the end of the model run in two years. So let me start with a proposed open letter to GM on which we would all attach our names. At this point this is a draft and can be tweaked. Some of GM's brand new offerings baffle me as to their positioning in lieu of the G8 anyway (LaCrosse). An open letter is one way to start but what makes a bigger impact is each person's own words and reasonings for wanting products. Explain that you unbderstand there are costs involved in bringing any product to market but that you also understand that introducing a variant of an existing platform helkps amortize the associated costs over a broader base.

open letter to GM said:
Open Letter to GM, re G8 ST, et al

Dear Messrs. Wagoner, Henderson, Lutz, Reuss

There are many of us owners and enthusiasts alike saddened and puzzled by the recent decision to cancel production and importation of the Pontiac G8 ST. Many of these same individuals held high hopes for the previously stillborn propsed wagon version of the G8.

The G8 ST is certainly a unique configuration, albeit one GM had successes with starting in 1959 and continuing sporadicly until 1987. The ST nomenclature even evoked the image of the GMC version called Sprint. It is viewed as a very practical vehicle for those requiring open bed carrying capacity combined with better than standard truck aerodynamics and maneuverabilty.

Based upon the already in production Holden VE Ute it would seem to us that most of the engineering and design dollars would have already been invested, save for finalizing the interior. The several versions of the Holden Ute weigh in at a nominal 5 Kg (11 pounds) more than their equivalent and similar optioned sedan. Published fuel economy numbers per powertarin configuration show the Utes to be equal to the Sedans, which would mean a G8 ST would have no different an effect on corporate CAFE than the sale of a G8 Sedan it might replace.

We, the consuming public, see as certainly small, but not insignificant certain niche markets that include Ute, Sportwagon, and even Coupe versions of mid to full size family vehicles. If the economy complies then the success of the new Camaro will be a good barometer. But we sometimes are taken aback at what GM considers to be the future directino of the family sedan.

Continuation of the entire RWD architecture appears in jeopardy, yet meanwhile the admittedly beautiful Buick LaCrosse for 2010 gains 500 pounds over the 2009 model it replaces, necessitating a 6-speed automatic and new DI(direct injection) V6 engines to achieve similar estimated mileage figures. In fact the 2010 LaCrosse in base trim is a tad heavier than a base G8. Would not the smarter, greener idea have been to transplant the new powertrains into the existing lighter chassi and actually improve mpg substantially? By the same token, a G8 V6 with DI and 6-speed certainly would score very similar mileage to the new LaCrosse.

It now becomes apparent to some of us that future FWD vehicles will be no more economical to operate than comparable RWD vehicles when resulting weights are the same with equivalent powertrains. We have to wonder openly how this moves the company forward.

In closing we ask that reconsideration be given to not only the G8 ST but also the Sportwagon and possible Coupe versions. Maybe not this year or even next, we have waited; and if given hope will continue to wait for exciting products to continue from GM and Pontiac.

Thank you.

Pontiac G8 ST enthusiasts

·
Registered
94 Posts
G8 St

Cheifpontiac, In my opinion you've got too many issues in that letter. Instead of criticizing the GM business plan, I suggest simply telling them what we want. We want more performance vehicles like the G8 ST.
Just a thought, Don

·
Hsv Gts Pimp
874 Posts
I would have gotten a wagon for my wife. Oh well, we'll probably get a foreign wagon instead.

·
I chase paper!!!
1,130 Posts
Yes. From above post:

"I'm going to make sure people know I'm still angry first of all! Then, I'm going to build myself an angry army! Then, we're all going to protest in front of the Ren-Cen demanding our G8 Utes and Wagons! Complete with a huge burnout front and center to get their attention!"
I like sh*t like this! Eh, might as well join u!

:The_Villagers::The_Villagers::The_Villagers:

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
And so it begins. :The_Villagers:

On the bright side MAB, there is talk that the next version of the Dodge Dakota might go to the LX chassis. Car based truck anyone? But, it won't be out until MY2011-2. :whine:

·
I chase paper!!!
1,130 Posts
And so it begins. :The_Villagers:

On the bright side MAB, there is talk that the next version of the Dodge Dakota might go to the LX chassis. Car based truck anyone? But, it won't be out until MY2011-2. :whine:
Chrysler wont last that that long, IMHO...

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Hey, I was a UTE/SW supporter all along! I'll join in :The_Villagers: IMHO Chrysler will be lucky to be alive as a brand thru the '10 MY! They'll be selling at FIAT stores, or something even more disgusting!:barf:

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
Chrysler wont last that that long, IMHO...
I hope they do. GM needs a company to help keep them on their toes. Ford isn't doing it, yet. Right now, GM is trying to compete on price (& not always winning) when buyers want a nicer interior, good fuel economy, & reliability. So far, they can build you a car with any 2 of those 3. I think Chrysler gave up on trying to compete like that. They build 'em, then price them where they think they can be competitive, not the cheapest. That reminds me, I hope the Sebring/Avenger department got the memo: "Immediate redesign. These cars are **** in every way."

1 - 20 of 105 Posts