Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently been through a horrifying process with GM to get to buy my car bacl. Long story and I won't share it now, but bottom line is I'd like to know what people are getting for comparable cars at dealers.

I have a '09 GT premium/sport. MBM in color. Got the car back to bone stock other than window tint and the original 19's I have to put back on the car. Car has ~37,xxx miles and truly is in outstanding condition.

Private party retail is $26K in excellent condition and ~$24K in good condition. Been down this road a number of times before with dealerships but let me know if anyone has recent examples! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Recently been through a horrifying process with GM to get to buy my car bacl. Long story and I won't share it now, but bottom line is I'd like to know what people are getting for comparable cars at dealers.

I have a '09 GT premium/sport. MBM in color. Got the car back to bone stock other than window tint and the original 19's I have to put back on the car. Car has ~37,xxx miles and truly is in outstanding condition.

Private party retail is $26K in excellent condition and ~$24K in good condition. Been down this road a number of times before with dealerships but let me know if anyone has recent examples! Thanks!

Something isn't right here.

Usually the terms "Buy back" and "outstanding condition" usually don't appear in the same post. :confused: :(

Hmmm....

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
Yeah, does sound odd but hey, who knows!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a minor trans issue of some sort GM has been unable to fix. The short story is that a handfull of times the car when flipping back and forth between normal and sport mode of shifting the CEL comes on and the car gets stuck in second or third gear. GM has attempted fixing the problem four times and has been unsuccessful. Their proposal is to get me out of my current lien on the vehicle which would be favorable, however compare original MSRP of my G8 to the new vehicle that I would buy at full GM MSRP - that is, not being eligible for any kind of incentives.

So, other than this minor issue that doesn't happen unless you horse around a lot between sport/shift mode (and by the way, this only happens while in bumper to bumper traffic), it's really not all that significant. Otherwise, the vehicle is in outstanding physical condition as I am and have proven to be with 10 GM vehicles in 12 years of driving cars, and I am curious what a comparable car is getting out of our lovely dealers across America.

Good question but not attempting a shady deal here. Just trying to gauge current and relevant information.

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
It was just odd seeing those phrases together is all. Nothing intended.I havent tried to trade mine so I cant help much but if you can find a GM of a dealership that will let you look at the "little black book" they use, it would help. KBB and NADA websites are pretty cool but are usually off the mark quite a bit from the book the dealerships use. I see some selling private party for 22-24 so take it for what its worth. Good luck!

·
Registered
594 Posts
And to add to the above - forget about what the on-line sources say is the trade in amount for a car in 'excellent' condition. No matter how pristine a car is, the only excellent condition cars are those that have just come off the assembly line.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I'd say surf on over to kelly blue book or edmunds or even autotrader and average them together. The dealership would be leaning towards giving you around the "dealer trade in value" whereas you need to try and get "private party retail sale" .... but anywhere in between those two numbers should give you a good ballpark idea of what you're looking at.

I know I bought my car new for 20k even (not including trade or deposit) in March and mine is worth around 23k with 24k on the clock. Now that's what I call "a good investment" ... lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
You won't get what you want, I can guarantee that. I took my G8 in recently for an appraisal on a trade and they offered me $22,000. Yes, $22,000. G8 GXP 6-speed manual with 14k miles. Clean title.......

·
Registered
39 Posts
I traded in my 2009 MSM G8 GT which I returned to bone stock as well. I had 14k on it and I negotiated my way up to 23,000 which I thought was fair. Good luck with your issue

·
Resident Ford Technician
284 Posts
I got 23,500 for mine when I traded a couple of months ago. It had 14K on it with sport and premium packages.

·
BOOOOOOOOOOST
702 Posts
You won't get what you want, I can guarantee that. I took my G8 in recently for an appraisal on a trade and they offered me $22,000. Yes, $22,000. G8 GXP 6-speed manual with 14k miles. Clean title.......
That dealer clearly thought it was a GT. No other explanation... Or just had no idea what the GXP was.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I traded mine in.. unfortunately it was a crash car no frame damage but is on carfax as airbag deployed... I bid the car around OK and TX and got bids from 19000 to 21000 for a GXP/manual shifter w/10000 miles on it... Auction shows cars going @ 19000 --> 21000 for GT models.. 22000 --> 23000 for GXP and dealers are sticking with those numbers.. I traded mine for a Camero.. and I REALLY MISS my GXP!!! I just let her go 1 week ago...... anyway His bid was 20750 showing on my trade. As a side note, I did keep the DEATHSTAR w/BT and XM box out of the trunk.. as the xm box has a lifetime sub.. if anyone is interested pm me...

·
Last of the Breeds
84 Posts
If you want an easy way to figure out a trade price take it to carmax. They will be pretty close to what a dealer will give you, some people have been lucky and carmax was higher than dealer trade.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd say surf on over to kelly blue book or edmunds or even autotrader and average them together. The dealership would be leaning towards giving you around the "dealer trade in value" whereas you need to try and get "private party retail sale" .... but anywhere in between those two numbers should give you a good ballpark idea of what you're looking at.

I know I bought my car new for 20k even (not including trade or deposit) in March and mine is worth around 23k with 24k on the clock. Now that's what I call "a good investment" ... lol
Yep! We he said^^^

·
Winter weather already?!
246 Posts

Same numbers here!!

Bought mine 12/08 for $20k out the door. Traded for just over $23k with 30k on the clock in 10/10. Damn good investment if you ask me!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just traded my 09 MSM GT sport/premium package 22.5k mile car in two weeks ago and got 21.5k. Several dealers offered the same to me and wouldn't budge. The car is/was in excellent condition with the only blemishes being a few rock chips in the paint on the front bumper.

I've seen several of these cars with 15k-25k miles selling private party between 21-23k over the last couple months, so if you can get anywhere in that range from a dealer that'll be about as good as it's going to get. I went ahead with this route because with the sport package (premium tires), not many people would be willing to buy a car they could hardly drive in the current weather.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
22 Participants
ecobrakes
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing