Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That was for the OnStar module. Since they stopped supporting it in the G8, the previous owner removed it from the car since it is unusable. There is also a battery under the rear deck cover that can be removed, but it's not worth doing until you blow a sub and have to replace it.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Onstar doesn't work anymore? I haven't had it in years, but I was under the impression that Onstar should still work, since it was a few years past when GM made the boxes compliant with digital vs analog or whatever, like all the cellphones had to do.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Onstar doesn't work anymore? I haven't had it in years, but I was under the impression that Onstar should still work, since it was a few years past when GM made the boxes compliant with digital vs analog or whatever, like all the cellphones had to do.

Perhaps I am wrong, but the OnStar version that the G8 used became obsolete.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'll have to go back and read about it, then.... Perhaps I am under the wrong impression.

Still, I guess somebody took it out because they didn't use it.

·
every village has one
2,169 Posts
Odd. I just got a promo from GM wanting to give me a 3 month free trial......
Wonder what’s up?

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I added OnStar turn-by-turn directions for 3 months for free last month while doing some testing with GMLAN. This was added in the vehicle with a representative.

The vehicle is definitely still being supported.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That's good to hear. I guess I didn't read very carefully..... :D

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
You need an updated box for onstar in Canada, I have never used it but they changed it.All OnStar equipped model year 2014 and older vehicles will be unable to use it€“ without a hardware upgrade - to access OnStar services once the 2G CDMA networks are turned down by wireless providers in particular geographic areas.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Ditched both OnStar and XM satellite radio shortly after the introductory free trial ended and have never looked back. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Never used or felt the need to have Onstar.
I do enjoy XM radio, just signed up for another year. Too many commercials and mindless banter on regular FM.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Agree with the pointless/baseless/irrelevant tripe so prevalent on most radio stations not to mention the strong tendency to run a "newer" song into the ground by playing it over and over again. Currently, the six disc changer suffices music taste by burning certain songs on compact disc, but am sure will eventually migrate over to digital music.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have XM as well since I listen to music. I get the 1 year contract for half price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts