Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to change my cam out, but I really dont know were to start. I dont want to lose much of my mpgs. I get 25 right now. She is mostly stock, I am going to put some long tubes and get rid of my cats. I do have a mild tune on it and cat back with 40 flowmasters and an custom H pipe. She did run a 14.04 at 99mph at Great Bends dragstrip "SRCA Drag Strip" Any ideas on what cam to use. Thanks

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Talk to Rick Crawford. He will recommend a DOD cam that works well with the stock converter and retain the best fuel mileage.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Would have to be a pretty small cam if you're staying on the stock converter.

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
If you feel like keeping DOD you can get a Lunati, 222/230 .534/.544 113+1. or 218/222 .531/.534 113+1. It would be a custom grind so you would have to ask for it. Good with stock gear and converter. Obviously the smaller cam is better with the stock gear/converter and has better MPG.

These are milder Lunati ramp lobe profiles that are quiet and easy on valvetrain parts so they are DOD lifter friendly. Works with LS3 valve springs that are pretty cheap from Pace, under $80. Would use 7.425 pushrods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the stock converter has to be changed out to put a good cam in. I really dont care if dod is kept or not. Just dont want to lose to much mpgs. I have heard a lot of bad things about the dod stuff. About lifters failing and trashing the engine. Dont want that!! Thats why I am looking for a good cam set up.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
So the stock converter has to be changed out to put a good cam in. I really dont care if dod is kept or not. Just dont want to lose to much mpgs. I have heard a lot of bad things about the dod stuff. About lifters failing and trashing the engine. Dont want that!! Thats why I am looking for a good cam set up.
If you think you cannot have a GOOD DOD cam you need to relook at Rick C's signature, his times and the fact that he uses DOD cams. There are a growing number of people using DOD cams and running in the 11's. A converter helps you run a more radical cam that runs stronger up top but Rick has recommended 2 GOOD cams that don't required you to change the converter and allow you to keep DOD. If you are really interested in keeping good MPG then you do not want the kind of cam that requires a converter change and keeping DOD will only help out with MPG.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Would have to be a pretty small cam if you're staying on the stock converter.
Not quite, We ran a 223/236 .612/.610 115 LSA and it idled smooth and had stock like driveability

·
Registered
528 Posts
Not quite, We ran a 223/236 .612/.610 115 LSA and it idled smooth and had stock like driveability
What's the point of adding a cam that idles smooth and drives like stock? :burnout:

Kidding man, I know there are some cam specs that can work fine with the stocker. But anything with decent "bump" will need a stall if you want the car to retain it's driving manners.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
But anything with decent "bump" will need a stall if you want the car to retain it's driving manners.

Not true...

The cam I am running I think some might say has a decent "bump". Driving manners are great. No pushing or surging. but the car does shake with the lope of the cam. Its more so in the tuner IMO...

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
subd. i love my car stock but ima end up camming it in due time.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Hey Troy, did you need to do a DOD delete cam with yours?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a similar cam as Troy. DOD is deleted. It drives fine with the stock converter and has some real nice lope. And it goes like stink for a stock gear stock converter car just like Troys. Oh and I get 24.5 mpg on the interstate. :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Not true...

The cam I am running I think some might say has a decent "bump". Driving manners are great. No pushing or surging. but the car does shake with the lope of the cam. Its more so in the tuner IMO...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsGZhXOMmE
I agree mine is a 230/242 612/612 114 LSA.

It surged pretty good at idle and coming to a stop at first, and swung pretty good putting it into gear. But with a little smoothing and some idle tuning, it turned out to have pretty decent manners and enough vacuum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts