Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
Doing some searching and wanting to see if any members here are running a 275/40/18 tire on an 8.5 wheel with a 35mm offset.
The car is also lowered on H&R coilovers approx 1.25 lower than factory ride height.

I aware from reading that putting a 275 on a 8.5 wheel is not recommended. My issue is with the current tires on the car now Nitto 555 G2's. The car gets very poor traction in 1st and 2nd gear. I was hoping by trying to get a 275 drag radial under the car, it would help the car out alot.

I've contacted the wheel manufacture and they are unable to produce the same wheel with more offset, so I'm either stuck with these trying to make wheels work, or make the decision to replace them with a better offset wheel for our cars. Here's a pic of the car to see the height of it.

Thank you very much guys.
Take care

Panther side.jpg
Panther full side.jpg

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
That rim is fine for the stock 245 tire. For a 275 tire you need a 9.5” wide rim. Offset 54 to 58 will allow it to fit without modifying the body

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That rim is fine for the stock 245 tire. For a 275 tire you need a 9.5” wide rim. Offset 54 to 58 will allow it to fit without modifying the body
I understand what you're saying. I guess I was hoping a member on here would jump on and say that "even though not recommended" that they have their cars set up that way and they did "X Y & Z" to make it happen. I'm not against trimming or rolling the rear lip of the quarter if that will help me get the tire under there. But..at the end of the day if it simply can not work with these wheels I currently have, then it can't work, and I'll go back to the pain staking search of finding another wheel I like and hope I can get the offset you recommended. Thank you for your response. (y)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I guess Im that member..... I run 275/35/19 Hankooks on an Linea Course Z2S rim it is 8.5 with a 30mm offset ,Fenders rolled ,car lowered on eibacs, I have done this for 3 years thru two sets of tires and had Zero problems . HOWEVER I acknowledge that it is not recommended ,so do so at your own risk......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess Im that member..... I run 275/35/19 Hankooks on an Linea Course Z2S rim it is 8.5 with a 30mm offset ,Fenders rolled ,car lowered on eibacs, I have done this for 3 years thru two sets of tires and had Zero problems . HOWEVER I acknowledge that it is not recommended ,so do so at your own risk......
May I see a picture of your car? If that's all I would need to do is roll the fenders. Then this is a game changer for me. (y)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You could have those wheels widened to accommodate the bigger tire, but for what it would cost, you'd probably be better off buying new wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could have those wheels widened to accommodate the bigger tire, but for what it would cost, you'd probably be better off buying new wheels.
I will look into that, and see who and what's involved in my area. I was looking and seen another black g8 with BMW wheels on it. They seem pretty simple, I'm a simple kinda guy. I'll post the picture I found up. I don't know anything about them, What they're called. What years they came on. Offset, Width, Weight....etc. Here they are.

G8 with BMW wheels.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok after more diggin. I found some members on here are doing BMW wheels. Also found these are X5 wheels. Onto more digging(y)

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Hey all
Doing some searching and wanting to see if any members here are running a 275/40/18 tire on an 8.5 wheel with a 35mm offset.
The car is also lowered on H&R coilovers approx 1.25 lower than factory ride height.

I aware from reading that putting a 275 on a 8.5 wheel is not recommended. My issue is with the current tires on the car now Nitto 555 G2's. The car gets very poor traction in 1st and 2nd gear. I was hoping by trying to get a 275 drag radial under the car, it would help the car out alot.

I've contacted the wheel manufacture and they are unable to produce the same wheel with more offset, so I'm either stuck with these trying to make wheels work, or make the decision to replace them with a better offset wheel for our cars. Here's a pic of the car to see the height of it.

Thank you very much guys.
Take care

View attachment 185030 View attachment 185031

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Would need 9” for 275-35-20 watch your off set would need 48 front 54 rear if later down track you want to fit brembo calipers

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Look at most tire sites, the give a range of rim sizes for each tire size. Then they list the optimum width.
245 can use 8” to 10”. 8.5” is optimum. 275 can use a 9” to 11” rim . 9.5” is the optimum. That’s the reason
why you see staggered sets in 8.5”/ 9.5”. It is just right

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've contacted MRR wheels and found out they make my exact wheel in an 18x9.5, with a +40mm offset. I realize that if I am to run a 275/40/18 drag radial in the back, I am goin to need to roll the fenders, Which I'm not against. I've asked them if they can shave anymore off the wheel, and I'm waiting their reply.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
see what they say mate I’m from Australia the g8 is our Holden ve ssv we all run 275x35x19 rear 54offset 245x40x19 front 48offset they clear your ctsv Brembo calipers no clearance issues 18” wheels won’t clear Brembo give it some thought,Aussie beau downunder

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I run the stock calipers on the car. I have drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads but that's it. I know for a fact with these current wheels I have now, if I were to run brembo brakes on the car in the future, I would need a 5mm spacer to clear the spokes. Friend of mine put brembos on his G8, and I test fitted my wheels, without a spacer the wheel doesn't clear the calipers. Still no word from MRR wheels. It may just come down to running these wheels for the remainder of the year, sell them off, and purchase another set of wheels with greater offsets like you mentioned, to both clear Brembo brakes (If I went that route), and give me enough offset so that I may run 275 drag radial on the car. I have spotted one I feel I could go with here. Work VS XX 18x9.5 45 Silver | VS XX-1895512045743S | Custom Offsets (customwheeloffset.com) but......I'll see what I can do with the set I have now first.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
This is a set with perfect offset. 8.5 x 18 38 offset. $309 each. Rear is 9.5 x 18. 58 offset. $334 each.
Weigh 18.2 lbs each. The outer ip is 15mm further out on the front, 9mm on the rear. That gives extra room for the wider 275 tire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like these wheels, I did a quick search to see where I could get them from. So far I'm finding backordered for 8 plus weeks. I'll keep looking. Thank you for showing me these. :cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is a set with perfect offset. 8.5 x 18 38 offset. $309 each. Rear is 9.5 x 18. 58 offset. $334 each.
Weigh 18.2 lbs each. The outer ip is 15mm further out on the front, 9mm on the rear. That gives extra room for the wider 275 tire. View attachment 185092
Curious... With the offset on these wheels. Is it possible to squeeze a 285/40/18 tire on them and fit under the car? I did see the optimal width for a 285 is 10" though, so maybe not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts