Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question, but just got this car and just haven't seen it on my other cars I have had. What is the the arrow going in a circle button for on the key fob next to the trunk release?

Siting at work so couldn't look in the manual and was too darn curious to wait? Lol

Thanks in advance for answering my stupid question.

·
2008 G8 GT
1,430 Posts
You lock the doors with the lock button, then press that arrow-circle button for 4 seconds and your car will start.

Again, press lock first, then hold down that arrow-circle button and the car will start.

Believe me, you are where I was in May/June of 2011 and I had just gotten my car. It's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Automatic starter.

Hit the lock button first then immediately hold the 'refresh' symbol for 3-4 seconds and it auto starts the car.

(repeat this step for extended idling on really cold mornings)

Press and hold the refresh key again and the car will shut off

Most GM auto starter fobs are made like this But on the G8 the 'refresh' symbol is too small and too close to the trunk unlock which mixes me up sometimes.

I don't use the starter much since it drains the battery more and I hate trying to change it out myself

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just walked to the car to try it and it works. Sweet.

I'd been searching to add a remote start cause the previous owner said it didn't have it.

It's a great day today.

Thanks so much guys

·
Grrr888t times...
306 Posts
Interesting the previous owner did not know that... I wonder what else he/she did not know about?

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Now that's funny!
Remember it won't work if the hood is open.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
This is my first car ever with a remote start.

Before, I was using the run out in your underwear at 5 am to start it technique, or the grin and bear it omg Im so effing cold/hot technique.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm happy as hell that it has it cause I was honestly searching this morning on what kind of remote start to get and the key fob was just siting there telling me idiot look down and figure out what this arrow does. Lol

Now I wonder what else the car has that the previous owner didn't know about.

·
That's ME!
4,021 Posts
I'm happy as hell that it has it cause I was honestly searching this morning on what kind of remote start to get and the key fob was just siting there telling me idiot look down and figure out what this arrow does. Lol

Now I wonder what else the car has that the previous owner didn't know about.
They prolly think it had a V6 and FWD if they believed their salesperson.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
This is my first car ever with a remote start.

Before, I was using the run out in your underwear at 5 am to start it technique, or the grin and bear it omg Im so effing cold/hot technique.
WTH were you doing running around in my underwear?! :gr_jest:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I use it when someone is getting ready to get into their car that's parked right next to me.

I freaks them out and they tend to be extra careful.

·
Go fast grocery getter
610 Posts
My only beef with the remote start on these cars is the range is like 50 feet. Beyond that, you're SOL. My car is garaged at home, so I never need it there. Then I park in the back of the lot at work, so its out of range. Better than nothing though, as I usually hit it while I'm walking towards the car.

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
There is a little DIY thread on how you can add extra wire to the receiver in the car and get a lot of extra range out of the remote. I haven't gotten around to it myself but I heard it really helps it out a lot.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Can I ask you a follow-up question to this remote start? Once you get in the car, do you need to put the key in the ignition for the car to move, or, can you just shift into Drive because the engine is already running?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for the response. That would make sense. But then when you put the key in the ignition, how far do you turn it since the engine is already running?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Just turn the ignition on.

The starter control is electronic so you can't do any harm.

e.g. To start the car you do NOT have to hold the key in the start position until she fires up. You can release straight away and it will keep turning until it starts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just turn the ignition on.

The starter control is electronic so you can't do any harm.

e.g. To start the car you do NOT have to hold the key in the start position until she fires up. You can release straight away and it will keep turning until it starts

You know I've heard about that in another forum but I'm still on the old habit

1 - 20 of 27 Posts